Should Apple stop the leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Risco, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Well it is over now, practically every single leak was right. It almost seemed as if Apple did not care, or even leaked it themselves. Now, my question is should Apple go back to their secret ways? Should the phone been stooped in a cloak of secrecy like the iPhone 4 was until Gizmodo screwed it up for everyone?

I miss the cloak and dagger, how about you?

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

But the leaked images spoiled it anyway as we seen the Iphone 4 design when the 3GS was popular. Same this time just more consistent leaks.

And you could argue the leaks helped stop people going Android as the 4S was obviously a stop gap phone. I always felt the 4S was rushed as there was rumours last year the 5 got delayed. Panorama mode in IOS5 gives it away that they knew a wide 16:9 Iphone was coming.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I honestly do not think they can. It's the price of not manufacturing your own stuff and getting third party suppliers.

I doubt Apple gives a ****

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

NO. It seems like they are doing a GREAT job. Double Down the next time!

They probably will put out fakes/leaks next time. They should! That would boggle some minds! Huh?

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

All the leaks make events like today's seem pointless. We basically knew everything that was coming. Why bother with an event? Just post some stuff on apple.com with a few videos and be done with it.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Apple had two choices:

1. Don't ramp up production; make the release date a few months later than the announcement. Few leaks.
    2. Ramp up production well in advance. Leaks, but no supply issues on release day, only a week after announcement.

I'm glad they went with 2.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Look, people, there is no way to control thousands and thousands of factory workers.

8. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

That makes sense as under Steve Jobs there were less leaks but alway supply issues. Under Cook it is a practical avalanche of leaks but no supply issues on release.

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I bought my S3 three weeks ago because I wanted a WIDER phone. Saw the multiple leaks of the latest iPhone. Was NOT impressed. Wanted something NEW - and wider - not just "tall".

Rolled the dice and bought the S3 anyway. Waaaay too many consistant leaks, of the "New iPhone"/ iPhone 5/ iPhone 6 argument ( remember?).

Today's "presentation" makes me realize I made the right decision, and didn't waste my time waiting and buying the " leak", I didn't want. Wow the leaks were dead on.

I'll get the next iPhone ( or AFTER the iPhone 5s), when apple is done milking the fanboys, and they actually come out with a wider phone.

10. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Steve had no problem.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

I would wager that Steve Jobs had NOTHING to do with it. The iPhone has become the most popular piece of technology to blog about. As the popularity goes up, the likelihood of leaks goes up. It happens for other companies but not as much as Apple because WAY fewer people care about other companies products.

12. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

13. Fissure macrumors 6502

I don't get your logic.

The iPhone 5 is a complete redesign from a manufacturing standpoint. Do you actually think Apple gained any efficiencies from keeping the width the same as the previous iPhones? Either way, same width or not, new tooling and manufacturing processes are required.

They made a conscious design decision to keep the width the same. Their reason, usability.

You can disagree with that reason but it had nothing to do with Fanboys. Saying it does would infer Apple had something monetary to gain by keeping the width the same which isn't the case.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

They should definitely stop the leaks. The wow factor just wasn't there at all. It even kills the mood in the crowd for those who were at the keynote.

It's just no fun when you know what's coming.

15. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

You will be back before that bet you $100 bucks....I used S3 for 1 mo and already frustrated with the mail intergration, photos and SMS. S3 has great features but no way the iphone experience...Sorry been there done that..

16. dotme macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but it's even less fun to wait 2-3 months for a device to ship after the reveal. And I'm afraid it's one or the other...

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Tim Cook is not concerned with people having fun at launch time. He is concerned with manufacturing several million more iPhones than last year, than the year before, as evidenced by the simultaneous multi country launch of the iPad 3 (and ensuing lack of lines/buzz/fun).

Steve Jobs was a pitch man and a showman. He constrained production, he limited launch sizes, and the crowd ate it up. The world drooled while waiting for devices to launch internationally after seeing them launch in the US.

Steve knew how to get people excited and conjure desire. Tim knows how to get products manufactured in massive quantities. The stockholders are loving the high volume sales short term, but in the long term, the cult status that Apple is built on could begin to crumble.

18. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I think the real reasons for the leaks is because great phones like the SIII came out and people were flocking to that phone and Apple wanted to let more people know that the next iPhone was on the way and to wait for it. The same thing with the iPad mini (I'm pretty sure is being released in August), they realized that there is a market for the smaller form factor and by leaking parts it lets people know it is on the way and to not buy the nexus 7 or kindle fire.

19. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Analysts say Apple may sell 250 MILLION iPhone 5 phones in the next year. That is nearly a million every day which means they have to make nearly a million everyday. At launch they will sell tens of millions in the first few days to a week. These phones have been made. UNDERSTAND THAT AGAIN, Apple has ALREADY made tens of millions of iPhones. You can NOT make tens of millions of something and not "lose" a part to leaks, it's impossible. Back in the first few generations the lid was tighter but they weren't making anything close to this many phones in advance.

20. aarif2012 macrumors member

It does not matter. The only thing that counts is the phone itself

21. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

This sums it up pretty much. They have a cult status, there was always a massive build up to the keynotes because people did not really know what was coming! Now everyone knows what is coming, the hype is not the same. The mood in the crowd as terribly mooted on each announcement. You can still have secrecy and have high volumes at launch, you just need to throw a few more red herrings in to the sea.

22. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Their manufacturing operation is too big to be kept a secret now. Even if they didn't want leaks to come out (which they do, free advertising!), they couldn't stop it.

23. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Trying to cover up something that's being produced in it's millions, by hundreds of different people, is an incredibly hard task.

24. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

unless they have a factory producing iphones in the same country its designed etc... it will be hard to keep a lid on it.