Should Apple use a crystalline solid instead of Gorilla Glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Jul 9, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

A crystalline solid is harder to break, because the molecules in the solidare arranged in a defined order.

As far as I know, the only problem with using a crystalline solid is cost. The factory would need to melt the solid, and I assume all crystalline solids have a high melting point, so a factory would need to spend a lot of money on equipment capable of melting the solid, and the electricity required to melt the solid.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

agreed

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

There are four types of crystalline solids. Which are you proposing to use?:rolleyes:

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, when the "only problem" is a big problem then what do you expect them to do?

The officer of a specialty company that does make phones with sapphire screens was quoted as saying that Apple looked into it and decided that it couldn't be done on the scale they'd need it to be.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/13...phire-crystal-displays-found-them-infeasible/

If it were possible I'm sure people like that guy would jump at the chance to sell sapphire screens to Apple. The fact that no one is offering that to Apple should tell you something.

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I'm already looking forward to future Gorilla Glass generations. They are developing an anti-microbial coating. But I am most interested in the glass becoming "tens of times more transparent than purified water", so that reflections are massively reduced.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's a big "only" considering that the iPhone is already expensive to many.

8. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I've seen SO many people walking around using iPhones with cracked screens, so I have to disagree with you on your thoughts about Gorilla glass.

9. deeddawg macrumors 603

The question is how many of them were intentionally cracked by the owner to achieve "status"? :D

Smashed smartphone screens become status symbol