Should Capital One Drop Alec Baldwin...??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Squadleader, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Squadleader macrumors regular

Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets.. Should a left wing bomb thrower get axed...?? The whole concept is kinda weird...Baldwin doing commercials for Capital One in the first place..Capitalism is alive and well...

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Baldwin has said a lot of stupid stuff in the past with no repercussions, he must have dirt on someone.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Considering the "Activists" are exclusively from a group that has no problem with extreme homophobia - not a mere slip of the tongue, but actually seeking to deny people their rights in every conceivable way - it's disingenuous to say the least.

Or to put it in simple terms - GOProud has as much credibility in denouncing homophobia as the Westboro Baptist Church. Or you, for that matter.

None.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

In otherwords, homophobic slurs only matter when select people use them?

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Not condoning Alec's speech, but there is a big difference (IMHO) in using slurs in anger, and slurs in everyday speech.

If you're incensed at someone, I could forgive you for calling them a "effing fag" in the heat of the moment, etc. But if that's how you generally view homosexuals, vote against their interests, think they're not moral humans....not cool.

Same goes for any slur (racial, handicapped, etc).

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Calling someone an "effing fag" is not cool, period.

In other words, it deserves a punch in the face until the point is made.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Apparently so. Otherwise Alec would have been unemployed a long time ago.

----------

But it isn't the first time Alex has done something like this. How many times are you going to give him a pass?

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I had what you would call a "conservative upbringing", which I'm sure you'll equate with "hateful upbringing"; but I was taught that context means nothing when using slurs such as that. You never call anyone a name like that (or any other type of slur) no matter what.

You won't need to, because I would never use a word like that. No matter how angry I was. And if I did, I'd expect to pay the full consequence of using such vile language.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Since I'm sure this thread is in relation to Paula Deen, does anyone really believe that Deen was fired from the Food Network simply for using "the N-word" thirty years ago?

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I've said this before, but celebrities are sold as brands. If negative PR means they can no longer sell, they're dropped. It is just about image and has nothing to do with punishment.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It has been reported that her ratings were way down this year. Very possible Food Network seized the opportunity to get rid of her for "cause".

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Should Capital One fire Baldwin?

That's entirely up to them.

Should you use Capital One products and services because of what their spokesman said?

That's entirely up to you.

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    This thread is not about Paula Deen, please use that thread to discuss her issues, this is about Capital One and Alec Baldwin. Please stay on topic.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Didn't he just call someone a "queen"? Hardly something to be fired over.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Kind of depends on context, don't you think?

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The decision obviously rests with Capital One. If they decide that Baldwin's image is irreparably damaged, to the point that his usefulness is outweighed, they'll drop him.

A couple of (contextual notes): The journalist who was the target of Baldwin's rant claimed - based on mis-read Twitter time stamps - that Baldwin's wife was tweeting during actor James Gandolfini's funeral. Even if that were true, its a rather petty and spiteful little news item. And one that the journalist should have at least asked for comment on before publishing.

Secondly, while Baldwin has made a public apology through GLAAD, it seems as if the loudest voices calling for his firing are coming from Conservative-leaning gay activists; anxious, it seems, to take down a well known liberal voice.

Lastly, I think everyone is entitled to a private life. Mr Baldwin would have been better off keeping his anger off of Twitter and social media in general.

But before anyone condemns Baldwin, I'd ask who among us here has never used a term that could be considered a slur by some group or another.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, GOProud fights against every instance of homophobia in public life, which is why they've pushed for petitions against Chris Culliver, Tracy Morgan, and Paris Hilton.

Oh wait. Never mind that was GLAAD.

I'm certain I did when I was 12 and didn't know any better. Baldwin's publicist should change the password on the ol' Twitter account and Baldwin should realize that his comments were clearly intended to be an attack against the reporter's sexuality and own up to it.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

One thing is probably for certain.

HiT Entertainment will probably not ask him back to play Sir Topham Hatt or narrate for Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. Rather sad, especially seeing how much kids like that series.

BL.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

This is not worth the uproar. Seems like faux-outrage from the GOPride group.