Should christians watch Angels & Demons?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by daneoni, May 25, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I was actually considering going to see angels & demons with some friends but when i asked one of my buddies to accompany me (its a large group and don't want to be bored) she promptly declines...citing blasphemy towards christianity. I have no clue about the dan brown series...havent read or watched and have only heard that they're anti-christian.

I'm a christian and i'm now having second thoughts about seeing the movie. On one hand its a fictional movie, which won't have any effect on my faith/beliefs but on the other hand, the series is purported to be an attack on christianity and i have to ask myself do i want to support such a thing

Thoughts?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Why would you think that?

It's no more an attack on Christianity than Independence Day was an attack on patriotism.

3. amd4me macrumors 6502

I have no time for people that believe in and worship characters from a dense boring novel.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think thats a question only you can answer for yourself.

That said, I don't think it is portrayed as factual events , so I wouldn't be upset(if I were Christian)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither does the bible but that doesn't stop people from believing it ;)

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'll say nothing more than:

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Popular christian opinion...edited my original post to reflect this

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

if you are so insecure about your beliefs then no, don't go see a Hollywood movie.

Its entertainment. not a documentary

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And it must be the opinion of those who never read the book or watched the movie.

The book portrays an attack on the Vatican, yes, but in no way should that be considered an "attack on Christianity." It was created purely for entertainment, not with an agenda.

Don't equate hollywood thrillers with documentaries; the two are decidedly different.

11. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wirelessly posted (Sausage: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for playing.

A radio host on a christian station made a good point on this. Christians should watch this so that if a non-christian brings up the movie subject, they can relate to them and create a discussion about it and how Christianity differs greatly from the movie. A great way to talk about the gospel with "angel and demon" watchers

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is your sausage pork or 3G?

13. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

It's just a movie... Why does it really matter? It's for entertainment purposes.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If Christians shouldn't watch Angels & Demons, Wiccans shouldn't watch Harry Potter. Tell your friend to pull the pine cone out and go see the movie.

Actually I was surprised that they managed to follow the book as closely as they did. *spoiler->*up until the Fountain of the Four Rivers scene anyway when they took the proverbial left turn. Then again, they did omit/alter everything of the assassin's background and completely cut out Vittoria's father.*<-spoiler* Still, a much better effort than The Da Vinci Code.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

16. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I watched it, and I'm a Christian. I don't get what the point of this thread is.

17. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I've only read the book, but to me it was less an attack on Christianity than (at most) a demystification of the Vatican and the conclave process. Then again, I read it before the death of JPII, and as I'm not a Catholic, it was a completely new realm to me.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If the Catholic theme is of interest, rent The Third Miracle directed by Agnieszka Holland and starring Ed Harris. Very good.

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

'tis pork. It's losing it's flavor tho. :(

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its a movie for christs sake! :p

I want to see it, I loved the Davinci Code and this looks even better.

22. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Or read it.

I swear, there were sentences that were completely missing verbs.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see a problem with it. The movie is a work of fiction.

24. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

[​IMG]

if seeing a movie, and thinking that it will affect your faith, then your faith is weak, and should be looked into.

anyway, movie was ehhh, the whole anti matter thing is hilarious if you know anything about it.

just a side note, on the (spell) hadron collider, when they were doing testing when it first started, they overheated something to 4 kelvin. hilarious.

25. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I don't buy into any of the crap that Dan Brown writes. Simple enough.

BUT, in response to the OP, I wouldn't let my religion interfere with a film. End of the day, it's a film based on a book which happens to be rehashed information from the 70's and bares no fruit