Should Colleges Spend More Time on Teaching ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

What is your opinion on this initiative in Brown university ?

My opinion is that they should spend less time on social justice projects and more time on giving the students what they are paying for.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Some of the crap I sat through in college a few years back was a sheer waste of time - especially considering the cost.

Colleges, especially for-profit ones like Brown, need to work on the studies pertinent to the degrees being taught. Let legitimate governing agencies deliberate and govern. As with for churches, keep a separation but have partnerships where genuine good can come out of it for all involved.

They'll just convince the students that those initiatives are more worth the money than the other courses, especially if said colleges employ half-assed tactics, diluted course quality, grade inflation, and so on. Since they're for-profit, let's find a way to blame commie librul gubmint instead of looking at issues in capitalism that allow the cannibalism of society to take place.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ummm. Yeah. Colleges have slowly but surely become a wholly-owned subsidiary of radical left-wing politics. They were always left -leaning but my goodness its out of control now. Its bad enough that they overcharge students and parents for what amounts to a sheet of worthless paper. Then you add in the "social engineering" and it becomes a sesspool of liberal propoganda. Worse yet is that a lot of it taxpayer funded so those of us who do not agree with their political BS get stuck paying for some of it too.

Its disgusting.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That dude belongs in a padded room in a mental institution.

"Not all people who menstruate are women."

????????????

Did this clown fall asleep in middle school biology?

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's the student body president and he's not using Browns funds I fail to see an issue.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not sure if the undergraduate finance board is separate from the university ?

The bigger question is why aren't students up in arms over the education they are receiving for a cost that will put them in debt for years ? Why can't the student body president concentrate on getting the school to improve it's curriculum / teaching so the students actually get a good education and are prepared for after college instead of working on SJW projects ?

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not all people who menstruate are women? Where does he suspect I shove the tampon?

8. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I believe it's probably a matter of semeiotics. He probably means that a transgender person using the mens room might need a tampon.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Keep regurgitating what you hear from baseless news sources

10. Scepticalscribe, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two points occur to me to make: The first is that the thread title - while excellent in itself, and most certainly meriting a proper thread and a serious discussion, as good quality teaching has been downgraded in third level institutions for decades, - is misleading in the context of the article posted.

The topic covered in the article has nothing to do with universities choosing to focus - or not - on teaching. Student societies have long been places where students pushed intellectual and/or socio political boundaries while often providing a service. They have nothing whatsoever to do with what a college teaches.

The second is that - having read the article and not just the headline - I think that most of those who have posted here in response have missed the point.

Reading it, as a woman, my understanding of the point being made is rather different from that of others.

My sense of the point being made is not the headline most have taken from it - the 'not all people who menstruate are women' - but rather, I would see this as an attempt (an imperfect attempt, granted) to address the taboos and stigma surrounding menstruation by stressing that the provision of female hygiene products are a necessity - a basic right, (often denied women in the third world for reasons of societal stigma and costs) - and not a luxury - for women.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Huh? Really? You dont see, which is clear as day, that colleges are a bastion for whackjob, left-wing politics and agendas? What planet are you on again? Nothing to do with news sources. Just go visit a college or talk to some recent grads. Its that simple.

12. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I believe most students in college just look at it as getting a degree and having fun. I don't believe a majority of students are actually there to learn something :(.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

uh i work on a college campus every day so i'm exposed to it every day and I am a recent grad. .. . . . .. . . what planet are you on? you clearly haven't visited a college campus yourself and are just saying what media just pulls out of their ass.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

He's gonna be a US Senator when he grows up.o_O With my luck he'll be the Senator from my home state of Texas.:(

How can someone who can't afford a $10 box of tampons, afford $50K a year tuition at Brown?:eek::eek::eek: Am I missing something?

15. Scepticalscribe, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, you are.

You are missing the point of what the students are being told.

Of course kids whose families can afford the costs of tuition at Brown can afford the price of a packet of tampons. That is not the point being made here.

Rather, however, what they are being encouraged to think about - by being given a box of tampons - is that this does not apply to everyone.

They are being encouraged to bear in mind that there are women who cannot afford tampons, women who grow up in societies where menstruation is regarded with disgust and is - quite literally - an unmentionable subject for conversation - women for whom being able to afford tampons - and thus, being mobile while they are having their period - is an out of reach luxury, and thus they may be denied the opportunity of being able to attend school - or work - for several days each month, thus depriving them of possible educational opportunities or the potential to fully enjoy a degree of economic independence.

It is not about wealthy kids attending Brown. It s about persuading wealthy kids attending Brown that not everyone can afford what they can. That not everyone can afford what costs so little that they not need to give a second thought to it, and that this lack of resources might have far reaching consequences for the lives of others.

It is about teaching awareness and - perhaps - a little empathy.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That's what the accounting students would say.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

OK then. College campuses are loaded with right-wing, god-loving, tax-hating conservatives. Got it :)

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, from what I read, I doubt that this was what @impulse462 wrote or attempted to argue, so I am not entirely sure of how you arrived at this - somewhat illogical - conclusion.

19. NT1440, Sep 9, 2016

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you familiar with "The Chicago Boys"?

Schools are filled with people or all different political views, but institutions can have a political bent one way or the other. Especially those who's hiring process is given the final yea/nay vote but the Koch brothers.

But you remain silent on those institutions, which number in the hundreds at this point, why so silent?

https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...sal-college-teach-our-curriculum-get-millions

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

...you can learn and have fun too

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Learning IS fun.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I always thought so, agreed.

23. satcomer, Sep 9, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This is not fail! When I went to school (late 80's and early 90's during the whole AIDS scare) and my school made use find quarters to find a condom and spanked a fraternity that gave condoms away during parties! :eek:

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yeah but schools badly fail at that. There's a very nice speech by Niall Ferguson about it, if you want I can find it for you.

25. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

You can but I doubt it's the goal of most students. I think their goal is a degree and fun.