Should Companies Lower Their Prices Due to The Economy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacVixen, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I ask this question due to the heated debated happening with the current lead story (Microsoft targeting Apple prices). But I'm not asking this question is relation to strictly Apple. In general, should companies lower their prices due to a bad economy?

Of course we all WANT lower prices and nobody will complain when a company does, but I have seen quite a few comments that Apple and others NEED to lower prices at this time. I guess I am in the camp that says "no". I don't think any company should lower prices strictly due to the economy. Of course if sales are stagnating and of a concern to the company, than lower prices would obviously help. But just like I don't expect a company to jack up their prices when the economy is rosy, I don't expect lower prices just because it's all gone south.

Just curious what others think about this.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

We're trying to tip-toe away from deflation. So, no, we don't want all companies to lower their prices.

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I expect prices to be whatever the market will bear...

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Every company has a different financial situation.
    The company I work for reduced all the employees salary by 10% for the executives and 5% for the staff, also many other companies are looking into doing this. This means less money to spend for those of us that are still employed, so maybe we as consumers also expect that we get discounts to buy the things we were used to buy.
    I believe that the companies need to be more efficient and innovative to be able to offer a more competitive price and increse their profit also. Easy to say it in an internet forum, not so easy to do in practice, specially when many suppliers are struggling to avoid bankrupcy and many denying to provide services because they don't make any moeny out of it.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

No, because im not communist. Welcome to capitalism.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry -- this question is clearly a sociopolitical one and therefore belongs in the PRSI, for which the OP is not eligible. I'm therefore closing it. If any PRSI-eligible members wish to post a thread there of the same topic, they may feel free. Thanks for your understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.