Should Condi return to Hoover after this term?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Within the small Stanford community here in northern California, it was no secret that the Hoover Institute was considered Condi's "bitch". Not only that, many knew she had political aspirations beyond just being the main analyst at Hoover and one of the only ones known outside the Bay Area. Even some conservatives found her views to be too allied to the Christian right and the pro-interventionalist hawks.

For the most part, outside of some people at Hoover and some students/profs at Stanford's graduate school of business, Stanford and Palo Alto are fairly liberal. I am a liberal and sometimes Stanford, and Berkeley, are too liberal for my tastes.

What are the chances, in your opinion, of Condi returning to Stanford? And would her part in the unpopular Bush administration, hurt the school's reputation?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, John Yoo returned to Berkeley after he left the Bush administration and it didn't hurt Cal's reputation much. I would guess that Rice will return to Stanford and no one will say "boo" about it. She brings prestige to the institution. And probably a bunch of donor money too.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Are you kidding? I am a law student these days and John Yoo is a joke. People avoid him. It's like Ben Stein down in Pepperdine law school and his solo defense of Nixon which even Pat Buchannan thinks is ridiculous. Law is a liberal field, period. Sure, there are some who join the Federalist Society and even they barely meet the yardstick of being moderates.

I don't think Newt's GOP Congress and their vicious attack on the law field, and their potential income, helped that party's influence in the field of law. What if one party tried to put a severe cap on what dentists, architects, or contractor's could make?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And it will be the same at Stanford. I was being somewhat facetious with my "no one will say boo" comment. Sure, you'll get a lot of the locals and the students upset about it, but nobody with any real stature will complain, and nothing will prevent her from returning if she wants to.

And from what I've heard, Berkeley's still got a stellar reputation despite accepting a man like Yoo back into their fold. If anything, it helps them fight the "liberal bias" attacks.

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Well, with that logic, Cal should make Newt their college president. ;)

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." ;)

Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC)

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Oh, like base jumping? I heard it's pretty fun. What if McCain picks her for VP? :eek:

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would cry and move to Florida.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Let me clarify. She should go jump off a cliff without any parachute or safty harness.

McCain is gonna choose Romney to be his VP.

Oops! Shouldn't have let that slip. :eek:

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Then he will carry no more than 10 states. McCain needs to distance himself from all things Bush. Condi is W's oldest administration member. The same bad thing would happen to McCain if he chose Rummy, Rove, or one of W's brothers.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm fine with her return to California... as long as it's because that's where the war crimes trials against her are to be held. ;)

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Condi should return to Hoover, but not CA. She should do a belly-flop off Hoover Dam.