Should Democrats support Palin?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kauai, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Without a competitive primary on the Democratic side, should Democratic voters vote in the Republican primary for the arguably weakest candidate - Palin? Many states are open primaries and thus voters can vote in either parties primary. Obviously this is hypothetical, but with Gingrich throwing his hat into the ring the primary season is just starting up on the Republican sides and I personally believe Sarah will throw her hat into the ring within the next few months.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If they do: Smart move on their part.

They'll be isolating the GOP to not vote for Palin, and thereby giving themselves an increased percentage vote.

I remember this actually happening earlier in history to (Not because I was alive then, but rather from US History class), or something very similar. I think the Republicans vote split over two people, causing the Democrats to win? Maybe the 1912 elections with Roosevelt?

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Either way I see it, the GOP nominates someone who isn't right-wing enough for the teabaggers so they vote for a third-party candidate, or the GOP nominates a raving lunatic who would never beat Obama anyway.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. It's almost too good to be true. And they're doing such a good job lately of making themselves look stupid.

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

No No No.

If Palin gets nominated, then there's a chance – albeit very remote – that she'll be elected. And that's a risk I'm not willing to take.

I mean, there could be a snowstorm in the northeast on election day that diminishes Obama voter turnout.

For example, the only reason Huckabee didn't win SC in 2008 was that an ice storm depressed turnout in the more conservative Upstate on primary day.

Careful what you wish for.

6. mcrain, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Scott Brown from Mass. is someone I'd vote for. I wanted to dislike him, but after hearing an interview with him, he seems like he's setting himself up to be the reasonable Republican that independents could be attracted to.

I can't imagine anyone beating President Obama in 2012, but 2014 is Brown's if he wants it.

(edit) Oops, what I meant to say was that SwiftLives is right. You never know what might happen, and we shouldn't put our country in a position of being run by someone legitimately scary. I may disagree with many Republicans and their positions, but that doesn't mean I'd be scared of them as President.

Palin? Yes, I'd be scared. Huckabee. Maybe/probably. Romney. No. Newt. No, even though I think he's a total scumbag and disagree with him 100%. Barbor. No, again, even though he's a scumbag.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Ideally, you'd want someone like Palin to run third party. Remember early in the Tea Party history how they insisted they weren't Republicans but were for all Americans. :rolleyes:

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Honestly I would call doing something like that unethical. Just because it is legal does not make it ethical.

Reason being is you are killing the vote of GOP and really I would say it would make you no better than some of the low ball stuff GOP members do.

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Realistically, there's no way enough Democrats would be energized enough to turn out to support a weaker GOP candidate. At least not on a national scale.

The US election system is odd - the extremists (as in people who are very passionate about their political affiliation) tend to turn out for the primaries. The independents and more mainstream voters tend to turn out for the general elections.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Or people could just vote for whatever candidate adheres the most to their political, social, moral and philosophical beliefs.. Just a thought.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

But third-party candidates rarely win national elections.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Agreed. I'm never going to underestimate how stupid my country can be.

I decline Gozar's offering, I will not choose the form of my destructor.

13. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This.

We don't have open primaries here, anyway - but I wouldn't want that vote on my record. And I sure couldn't bear to live with myself if by some fluke that muppet-with-boobs stumbled into the Presidency. Yikes.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We have open primaries, but I don't think I could bring myself to ask for a republican ballot when voting.

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Are you only willing to vote for someone who has a chance to win an election?

It is that mentality that keeps third-party candidates from gaining ground in our two-party system. Everyone always wants their vote to "count" and not be "wasted" so they vote for a candidate that is the lesser of two evils instead of a third-party candidate that is actually the person they would like to see in the office.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think supporting Palin unless you think she is the best Republican candidate is a bad idea. You never know what could happen if she got nominated she could win, although it's not likely. I'm probably going to switch my registration to Republican so I can vote for whoever the most sane candidate is and then probably vote 3rd party in November.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

From a pragmatic standpoint...yes. Because if I don't support the electable candidate who shares at least some of my views, then it's essentially voting for the other guy who shares even fewer.

I'd fully support either an instant runoff or just simply doing away with the stupid electoral college.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where have you been? Moral and philosophical beliefs have been replaced by campaign contributions.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hold your investment in popcorn futures. I doubt she's running. Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty are currently stitching up endorsements, campaign contributions and stumping in New Hampshire and Iowa.

Sarah Palin, meanwhile, is feuding with Kathy Griffin.

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

really?

You suggest deliberately abusing a system just to make sure your guy wins?

What if the shoe were on the other foot?

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Like Limbaugh's Operation Chaos?

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I have never heard of that, and Limbaugh is a moron.

Unless maths have changed, 2 wrongs STILL don't make a right.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Never said they did. You were the one who asked about the shoe on the other foot.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ok. Well I think it is immoral no matter who is doing/encouraging it.

Very dangerous to start getting into that kind of thing. We have elections for a reason. Think of how disastrous it would be if it backfired? Me, for example: I voted for Obama, but do not plan on voting to re-elect him. I really do not want to have to vote for Palin, but if that's how the cards play out and she gets the nod, I will probably have to. I imagine quite a few people are in a similar boat.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I wouldn't vote for her, but it looks like she's not going to run anyway.