Should Drudge be banned/regulated?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, May 19, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It seems there is a small contingent that thinks The Drudge Report should be banned or regulated:

http://freebeacon.com/issues/net-neutrality-supporters-want-ban-drudge/

What does everyone here think? I say no because that is banning free speech.

And besides, 1) all he really does is make up funny headlines for other people's news stories and 2) what stops some left-leaning organization from doing liberal Drudge report. After all as simple as it is a 12 year old could code it.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

These people have no clue what they are even protesting. "We want a FREE and OPEN internet!!", "Lets BAN Drudge!!!" "Lets BAN InfoWars!!!" :confused:

That sure sounds like a FREE and OPEN internet to me.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You cannot ban something to support a free and open internet.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No.

The thing that worries me about Silicon Valley and politicians teaming up to "combat fake news" is they are setting up a censorship regime (by definition) that no doubt will be used to clamp down on legitimate non-corporate investigative reporting.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Regulate it? No. Just ignore him if you don't like the content. There are so many internet media outlets. If you don't like it, just choose another one.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Thank you, I could've not said it better.

8. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Apologies for the off topic, but as a Magic: The Gathering player the title of this thread made me do a double-take. In any case, I agree with the rest. Banning is not the way to go.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Look up Skokie, Illinois, the Nazi Party and SCOTUS.

Basically, hate speech is just as protected as any other speech--regardless of the opinions of Snowflakes, Social Justice Warriors and other equally-ignorant cretins.

No entity which benefits from tax dollars can control the content of your speech; only its db level. Any private-sector entity has control over what is said, particularly as in your own living room. Websites like this one are included.

10. niploteksi macrumors regular

The lesser of two evil maybe?

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Howard Dean doesn't think so. o_O

I hate Illinois Nazis

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Does this country still have freedom of speech ?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

13. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Necroposting ... but the body's recently deceased.

I couldn't care less about Drudge. If you want to read him, knock yourself out.

There's certainly no need to ban him (as if that were even possible).

If you don't like him, just change the channel.

15. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Drudge is a news aggregator. That anyone is offended by that shows epic levels of snowflakeism.

The idea of censoring him is absurdly fascist and WHAT A COINCIDENCE, it's being pushed by the left.

16. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Really. The site merely provides links to external content.

You will see new laws enacted to address the power that Facebook, Amazon and Google are accumulating.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I don't think they should be banned or regulated legislatively, but I will support (financially) any private hosting or domain provider that chooses to not do business with them; and likewise I will boycott private hosting and domain providers that choose to do business with them.

18. ucfgrad93, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Even if he wasn’t, there is still no reason for him or his website to be banned. Don’t like what he puts on it, don’t visit the website.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Then you must boycott Google ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=dru...UR5GMKHWOaCGEQ_AUICCgA&biw=1366&bih=922&dpr=2

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I guess the smiley I put next to the text didn’t do it.

22. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

I'm WITH Herdfan. Free speech for EVERYONE without a herd of screamers across the street tying to deny.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, we shoudn't ban the Drudge Report. We shouldn't ban Breitbart.

And, I'm a little horrified that these idiots think Net Neutrality means that the government should be in the business of "banning" websites—even terrible, poorly written websites that likely make everyone dumber like the Washington Free Beacon.

That said, Net Neutrality has nothing to do with banning websites and the fact that this issue gets conflated by right-wing bloggers makes me even suspicious of these supposed movement.

24. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Twelve years ago, when all the Drudge headlines were about Bush scandals, the same argument would've been pushed by the right.

NO, the government has no business banning speech as long as it doesn't incite violence.

YES, the general public can create social pressure that makes certain kinds of speech unwanted and unwelcome.

The First Amendment does not require people to listen to an individual being an *******.

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

No.

We need material for late night comedy shows.