Should FCP 5.0.2 work on MBP running OS 10.5.6 w/ Intel core duo?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cyclinggirl, Mar 10, 2009.

1. cyclinggirl macrumors newbie

Hi,

FYI this is a duplicate post. I just posted the same question has been posted to "Mac Applications". Hoping someone here has more in depth knowledge of FCP.

I've been trying to load and register my academic version of FCP 5 onto my new MBP and the serial number is not being accepted. I'm hand typing it with hyphens and zeros instead of "o"s and the SN is correct but the software is not accepting it. When I log into apple's site to register my copy there the SN is show as "invalid". But, this SAME copy runs fine on my older MBP so I'm not sure what the deal is. I've been scouring the web and lists for answers and haven't yet gotten through to apple. I'm calling tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone know if I HAVE to buy the next version of FCP because (silly me!) I plunked down more ca$h for a faster machine to edit my video with? If so, I'm feeling really angry at Apple right now.

Other things I've tried... trashing the prefs and restarting, and installing all updates for my mac.

Thank you for your help or insight!

-cg

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

v5.0 is PPC only.

Apple gave users a window of about 1 year to crossgrade to the Universal Binary 5.1... so unfortunately you'll have to purchase a newer version of FCP in order to use it on an intel-based mac.

3. cyclinggirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh! Thanks. That's what I get for setting my video editing aside to have a baby.

So there's no way at all to get the cross grade now? Did you have to send them your disks for that? I'm trying to remember why I didn't do it...other than giving birth.

Thanks again.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yes you had to send your disks in. The crossgrade ended almost exactly 2 years ago. It stopped just before FCS2 came out.