Should firearm safety or sex ed be taught first in public schools?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We know no one seems to agree on when(grade/age) sexual education should be taught in public schools. My question is, should it be before or after firearm safety(stop, don’t touch, run away, tell an adult) is taught?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Neither... I think that both of these are something parents should teach. Schools should be a place for common knowledge not sex education or firearm education. Not everyone is going to want their kids doing that.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Why not teach them simultaneously???

That way those who would violate another's body will associate it with the use of a gun. And those who wish to defend their body from being violated may associate a gun with the word "no".

What could possibly go wrong if we associate guns with sex??? The possibilities are endless.

While we're at it, perhaps we should combine gun lessons with school assemblies on tolerance, understanding, equality, and human rights. What could possibly go wrong????

:rolleyes::confused::cool:

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

My opinion is, that is the problem with the U.S. education system. We should be teaching both at a basic level because the spread of AIDS/underage unplanned pregnancy isn't any better than not knowing how to react to a deathly weapon and we have a problem with both now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---

Don't forget math skills!

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

How about parents actually parenting? Kids don't mature at the same rate so shoving them into a room to discuss something they aren't ready for is not a solution. Parents should actually do their jobs and teach kids these things, not some stranger.

6. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

That is a great idea! However you have about the same chance of that working as you do wishing for world peace and it actually happening.

Do you have any reasonable ideas on how to get/force parents to actually parent?

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is a good question and one I don't have the answer to, but putting that curriculum in schools is not the best of ideas in my opinion. I had sex ed as a kid and to be fair, don't remember anything from it other than being embarrassed all day long and not wanting to be there.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It might not be the best idea and parents should have the option to opt-out however even if they choose to pull the child/have the child sit out hopefully the parent will use that as a time/reason to teach/re-enforce whatever they believe in.
    I don't think being embarrassed is all that bad of a thing. I got embarrassed in school many times, it is a part of growing up/learning. Do you think that made you any more likely to go out and start having sex?

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Optional course might be a decent idea, that would allow the parent to choose.

Nope, I was only concerned about recess back in the day. ;)

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Over here in the real world teenagers ****.

I think both should be taught in US schools.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    That sounds like a good way to have more teenage pregnancy and more abortion. And on the other side people get in trouble when they hang out with their conservative friends.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Why not make sure they learn???

We'll hire prostitutes (male and female) for Sex-Ed class. Hand out babies at the end of class, and a note that says one half of you now have an STD so watch for discharges and unusual bumps and sores, and send them to the nurses office on the way home for an invasive STD test.

Naturally, we'll treat half with a placebo pill, and it won't be the half that got the STD. That's just to reinforce the reality that treatment doesn't always work.

And on the plus side, 99% of the school may be sterile before they graduate.

We'll take care of overpopulation, provide homes for orphans, and teach the most memorable and effective sexual education course in history.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

Problem is, nobody can decide on how much is too much on that topic. I frankly don't care. The USA's biggest problem is that the parents don't parent and expect the school to do it all for them. Parents need to start being held responsible for their little angels.

I saw a kid wrecking a store (pulling things off the shelves) while his mom sat there and tried to reason with him. No no no... You snatch that little **** up by the collar and drag his butt out of that store. Nope, not her... He cleared multiple shelves before some stranger stepped in and then she got mad at him.

Is it taught in the UK schools?

13. juanm, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So, those kids whose parents won't teach these things will increase the risk of teen pregnancy and STDs, hence increasing the social divide rich-educated/poor-uneducated... Smart.

Why don't you try to face the REALITY that many parents will not teach those things because they are uptight, religious, don't care, or simply DO NOT KNOW THEMSELVES.

Some people, seriously, belong in the 19th century.

14. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

As a father of four, I will, and not very lightly, say that too many parents SUCK. Most parents won't teach most things. Some are just too busy and others just spend too much time doing their own thing, while the kids do something else. I pride myself on being balanced, more to the side of dedicated time, discipline, and teaching the kids things that most won't.

I personally think that a couple of firearms safety classes a semester, would be great. Send a note home so parents can opt out.

I think this will help to demystify firearms for children, AND perhaps parents. People will start seeing them as tools again, instead of L shaped creature that get up and attack good folk.

Most importantly, children need to not only know that they should get an adult when/if they come across a misplaced or irresponsibly unattended firearm, but they also need to know how to handle them, incase other children are present, and they want to make sure the other kids don't mess with it, in their absence while getting an adult.

I believe 2 to 4 classes every 3-5 years will do just fine.

As far as sex, I think it should be taught first. As early as kindergarten. I have one kindergarten aged child, and she knows the ins and outs and retained the information just fine. She sees it as if it were my hammer and has no interest in it. She knows it will severely hurt, or kill her, or her siblings, if she messes with one.

She doesn't need to know about sex right now, and she sure as hell has no interest.

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily... Most kids are getting their information from the internet as it is and teen birth rates are way down right now. I'm not saying that we shouldn't offer it, what I am saying is that parents should be involved and help make that decision as to when it should be done. It should not be up to the school alone.

As for guns? That is up to the parent all the way and not a place for public education.

Of course, I never had my own kids, so I may be way off the path here. My step-daughter is 23 and there has never been any issues there so....

16. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I agree, but sadly I know most parents just don't do that. Therefore, I think the community should create opportunities for people to learn. I don't see why this would be an issue in public schools. 2-4 times a year every 3-5 years.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Teach them everything. Including how to bring a woman to orgasm.

18. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

That is college level material!

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

> Most kids are getting their information from the internet as it is

You're working from the assumption that everybody has freely available internet access. That's still not true. Take away Sex Ed and you penalise those who in all likelihood need it the most.

Also, the internet is full of crap. An educated adult will easily distinguish what's baloney. A 14-yo won't.

> teen birth rates are way down right now.

Yes, partly thanks to sex education and freely available medical information. There's also more than pregnancies, STDs can also be a problem, and if left untreated even the "lesser" STDs can become serious if left untreated.

> what I am saying is that parents should be involved and help make that decision as to when it should be done.

No. It's a matter of public health, and as I mentioned parents can and will **** up. Don't assume everybody is educated middle class, because those will be ok no matter what, and again you'll be penalising those who need it the most.

20. daflake macrumors 6502a

I was under the assumption that sex ed wasn't in the schools anymore. Is it now being taught again? It was removed for a long time. As for the rest, I just had a nice beating from you guys on how everyone needed smart phones in life because the Internet was mandatory now. Most people can get the information they need and as long as they stick to valid sites they will be fine.

Still, I don't really care. I can see the merits on both sides of the argument... Maybe it should be mandated by each city to provide the training to the parents and children since you think they are ignorant.

21. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Females already know how to do that. Oh... I'm sorry... thought this was the LGBT class. Oh... next door on the Left.... ok.

:p

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Men don't ;). And you can teach family values too.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think this aspect of it needs to be addressed. Simply because some parents don't have guns or know anything about guns, yet their kids may play with other kids whose parents are irresponsible gun owners. Kids should be taught they are dangerous from the beginning.

How to use a firearm safely should be taught by the parents or even better a firearms safety instructor.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You do know sex is about as common as it gets? We have already had the home sex ed it does not work.

25. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Sex ed yes. Firearm safety no. Not everyone is going to or wants to own a gun. But everyone is going to have sex.