Should First Nations of Canada and the United States get...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Mar 3, 2012.

1. waloshin, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Should First Nations of Canada and the United States get their land back, and their resources from the land, that the Europeans stole from them?

Also do you agree that the First Nations should be self-governed?

Discuss

Edit: Dont give my post negative points if you don't agree with me you should reply with why you do not agree.

I am in the middle with this, I personally do not believe that the First Nations deserve last that was taken away from their ancestors, they do not have the rights to land that was taken away 500 years ago; but I do understand the reasons for self-governance.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Is this a homework assignment?

No. History is riddled with conquered/displaced people. We can't right every past wrong. We can learn from our past and do better in the future.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a slippery slope. Next you'll be having the Jews demanding the rights to Palestine or something really crazy.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah and they might even try to turn it into a civilized country with infrastructure and a secular government...the horror!! :rolleyes:

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

maybe he's just advertising his blog?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Wouldn't that be a change!

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It is true that I didn't know the southwest chicken was back until I read this thread.....

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

No I am writing a book review on the book Peace, Power, Righteous An Indigenous Manifesto and was intrigued to see what others see as this book is all about reclaiming land, colonization, treaties and nationalism with a lot of self-governance mixed in.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Too late for land reclaims although there may be some in the margins like Quebec and other northern parts of most provinces. As for self-governance, if they want it and they are capable of providing all the basic needs, why not?

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I believe only a very small population of First Nations want self-governance.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Hey my people bought Manhattan fair and square, for 60 Gulden or about $23.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They lost their land and were essentially conquered, so no to the first part. As for self governance, only if they finance their own government.

As of right now its basically a bunch of people living in a federally funded keg party.

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

OH MAN is it ever the closest one to Toronto is just 50km NE, why don't we go together it'll be so bomb and the federal government will foot the bill!

…

Get out of my country you utter, utter embarrassment.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This.

At some point we have to accept the conditions as they are and move forward from there. The upheaval of changing sovereignty would be a major issue and in my opinion a needless waste of time and resources. It's time to move on.

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Actually, in 1626, Peter Minuit purchased Manhattan from the Canarsie Indians, a tribe that was happened to be passing through the area.

Within a few years, Kieft's War (1643–1645) erupted between settlers of the nascent colony of New Netherland and the native Lenape population in what would later become the New York metropolitan area. During the conflict, at the Pavonia Massacre, 129 Dutch soldiers descended on a Native refugee camp. killing 120 Native Americans, including women and children. De Vries, a local farmer, described the events in his journal:

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My country now, and I don't approve of a bunch of drunks boozing away federal money that I paid.

18. MorphingDragon, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No, and to do so would be counter intuitive.

New Zealand/Canada/USA/etc is everyone's country, and we can't just take our technology and resources and "go back home". If that's not the case, how long does a Family have to live in a country until they become New Zealanders/Canadians/etc? Hmm?

I am sixth generation, my Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfathers were Engineers who designed the Waterworks in Auckland. Surely I have as much of a right to any part of New Zealand as any other Maori or Pakeha.

What an incredibly arrogant thing to say. If you have issues with regulation surrounding welfare then talk to your politicians.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The problem with following this to its logical conclusion is that we would all need to move back to Namibia and Angola, and, there wouldn't be enough food there for 7 Billion people.

However, going forward, it is clear that there are still a lot of people out there who would take away the remaining land if they could. (Anyone remember the old Buffy St. Marie song "Now That The Buffalo's Gone":

"Oh it's all in the past you can say,
    but it's still going on here today."

Ultimately, we have just have to muddle through this complex problem issue by issue.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

...and the English should give the Irish, Welsh, and Scot's their lands back as well.. :eek:

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have no issues with general welfare, more with the money the US and Canada pumps into reserves where the greatest accomplishment in spite of all of the extra opportunity provided is a higher alcoholic density then anywhere else on the map.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You want to talk squandered opportunities and wasted government money? Looking at the native populace is the wrong place my friend.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sorry, but returns are only accepted for 90 days, and even then only with a receipt :p

24. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Ah, yes... and the Scots (Scotti) should give back their land (go back to Ireland) , the Irish of Viking descent (Dublin was founded by the Norse) should hand back their land, the Bretons should hand back their land to the French (Franks - most of whom should in turn hand back their land and head back East). People of Norman descent in England and France (and elsewhere) should head back to Norway. Some of the Welch should head back to Italy (It's said the Welsh flag is basically a Roman / or a Samaritan standard). French people in Burgundy should hand back their land to true Burgundians (oh and to some English as well)... and let's not even start on the Mongols

We could go on but as above - did anyone keep a receipt? ;)

25. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If only we'd bought our land at John Lewis.