Should Girls be Allowed to Play on Boys Sports Teams

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article about a sixth grade girl. She played basketball on the school girls team in fifth grade and made all star. Now in sixth grade, the school has ended it's girls basketball program so she is trying to get on the boy's team. The school refused and it's now in court.

I myself see no problem with her playing on the boy's team since the school eliminated the girl's team and it sounds like there is no specific rule preventing her from joining.

After reading the article, do you think the school should let her join the boy's team ?

Can you think of any reasons why she shouldn't be allowed to join the boy's team ?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Sure, I don't see why not. She sounds talented enough by making all star.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Schools in California have allowed this for decades at the junior high level. I can remember at least one girl on the boy's football team. A few outlier high school sports are frequently coed. Water polo comes to mind. Did the school provide any concrete reasons for their decision?

5. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

My opinion, simply stated, is no. I think it's messed up that the school canceled the girl's team, but there are city leagues, I'm sure.

On the other hand, it can be complicated, as far as my opinion. Toddler sports, I don't think matters. Those liberal leagues where nobody is a winner and everyone get's a participation award... I don't think it matters. In a school league where there are championships, IT MATTERS.

This is where opinion is overshadowed by facts based on the physiological differences between males and females. If my son were on a football team and I was invested in his team winning a championship, I would vote HECK NO to a female on the team. Sure, some women can out perform some men, and in some things, gender is irrelevant, but sports is not one of those things.

I won't argue past this point. Why? Because anyone who thinks the male and female bodies are equal, is either trolling me, is indoctrinated, or simply delusional and idealistic beyond any facts ANY PERSON could EVER provide and, or prove.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If she actually tries out and beats other boys for the job I have no issue.

If the school is probably just trying to protect itself. If she is playing with the boys and something happens the school is probably getting sued anyway. What if a boy brushes up against her the wrong way or something like that? It's a no win scenario.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

With Tital 9 pushed sell over school in the USA all I know SJWs in Schools would up in arms if a boy wanted to play on a girls team! :eek:

8. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Basketball, Baseball and other non-contact sports I have no problems with girls being on boys sports teams. Football, Hockey and other contact sports it would depend on the size and the mental stamina of the girl wanting to be on the team. I personally would like to see a true female professional baseball player. I can see that realistically happening except for pitcher, for I don't care what that stupid TV show "Pitch" portrays for if a woman can't throw in the high 80s or low 90s she won't be able to make it as a pitcher.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I say no. In terms of mixing the sexes on a single team, no for the reasons a few others have already stated.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

In 6th grade I had to wrestle a girl. I was in a no win situation. No boy wants to be beaten by a girl and no boy wants to beat a girl. I beat her. She was pretty cute and developed early. Since I was grabbing her and wrestling by 6th grade mind couldn't stop my 6th grade boner. It was very embarrassing not being able to hide it under that very revealing singlet.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I bet you had a female teacher at that age that doesn't understand older boys second mind that thinks on it own sometimes, at that time in life! :D

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That female wrestler was super cute.

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Yes, they should be allowed to do coop teams until puberty. After puberty the physical differences and ability for injury are amplified.

7-8th grade (modified) football you can see six foot tall 180 lbs players.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sure, if they can compete why not. If they are being given equal time just because they are a girl I would disapprove.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Why are people Liking this comment? It was a very traumatic moment in my life.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't see an article linked. If she can keep up the same standards as the male players I don't see a reason why she shouldn't.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    Because just about every male has a boner story like this.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Right? So terrible.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The real question is do you remember her name. I remember the get up in front of the class trying to use a trapper keeper to hide it girls name. At that age there's nothing a boy can do to stop it.

19. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

In sixth grade, they have no tryouts. Any boy that wants to play is automatically on the team (i.e. she would not take the place of any boy that wanted to play).

I can see your point but I think that it would also be a good life learning lesson.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

No, there are numerous physiological differences between genders. If males and females were identical in all respects then there wouldn't be a need for 2 different sexes.

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Isn't that the excuse for why there were segregated (girl, boy) catholic schools or why Muslims try to keep the woman body covered ?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    I believe there are even more physiological differences then even physical differences :).

That being said, do you think it precludes her playing basketball on the boys team ?

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If she is good enough to be competitive, there is no good reason to refuse her.

23. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Why not? Because male and female sports compete at different levels. I'm completely in favor of more sports options for females, but see many hurdles that are just too high to jump in the name of equality. Most "equality if they can compete" in sports advocates really only want one-way equality.

Yes, some females could compete at male level, but MOST males could compete at female level. Not admitting the adolescent gender difference is as silly as saying age shouldn't make any difference either. Yes, some 8th graders can compete at High School level but allowing High Schoolers to compete in Grammar school sports would be ridiculous.

24. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Poor coach.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I have no issue with it at all. The only instance I can think of where it wouldn't work is Rugby Union and League. The hits are just too big in the modern sport imo.