Should have gotten the 13 inch instead of the 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

This is just a little rant and quite possibly good info. for making the choice between the 13 inch and the 15 inch.
    Sigh.... Here goes.

Basically what made me bought the 15 inch MBP was because of the bigger screen and the higher specs. Yes the 13 inch looks very small in the applestore so it swayed my judgement of buying the 15 inch MBP
    Of course all was happy and dandy when I bought the 15 inch but the price compare to the 13 inch was about 500$ more with the student discount/promotion.

Anyways the problem lies in the fact that not only with the price itself.. though I could have saved a lot of money if I just bought the 13 inch MBP itself but sigh......... we all live and learn
    1. For my reasons, I think that notebook/laptop computers should be all about portability so yes I would think the 13 inch MBP would be better for me because I have a computer at home so I could just be using that and if I want to travel the 13 inch MBP is about one pound lighter than the 15 inch MBP and it is smaller so you can protect it from danger easily making the 13 inch more efficient for traveling.
    2. Now I am going to put a disclaimer that I am not familiar with the heating on the 13 inch core2duo processor that much so don't flame. (Pun)
    Wouldn't it be logically correct to assume the core2duo processor won't put out as much heat as the i5 based MBP processor? Since Core2duo isn't made for heavy uses so therefore the heat it put out won't be as significant as to the core i5?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2. The Core2Duo is made for heavy work too. The heat a C2D can be bigger than an ix CPU is emitting, as it comes down to TDP. That's why it took so long for this CPUs to get into such a small space and why Apple didn't use the Quad Core ix CPUs or desktop CPUs in its notebook line.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

C2D is made for as heavy processing as i5, it just cannot do as many calculations per second as i5 can.

i5 have TDP of 35W while C2Ds in 13" have TDP of 25W but on the other hand, 13" has only one fan. I doubt there is much difference in terms of heat