Should High School Football be banned?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Oct 25, 2012.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

2. leenak macrumors 68020

I have mixed feelings on this. As someone who knew a high school player who turned pro and ended up having major issues due to repeated head trauma, I think football should be looked at as a whole. I don't know if there is anyway to make it a safer sport. The high school I went to has put out a number of pro players throughout the years and for many, it was a way to escape the hood since very few of us went onto college. I think it's a shame when those decisions come back to haunt them.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

All sports are dangerous. This is just a part of a recent trend to keep kids in a bubble, it needs to stop. Also, if you get rid of high school football you may as well get rid of college football too, you don't just learn to play the game once you graduate high school. There are some areas in this country where you will have to pry football out of there cold dead hands, don't even try it unless you're prepared for riots (mostly from grown adults who get off on watching teens tackle eachother)

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Could rule changes to prevent the hard hits make it safer?

5. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well maybe they could make it more like the "flag football" that younger boys play. I happen to like football and I have attended my share of high school football games over the years, but this man does have a point here. I mean we have banned many other things that are considered dangerous to children and there is no doubt that football is a dangerous sport. Now other sports can be dangerous as well so maybe all of them need a closer look.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Ban boxing and ultimate fighting first. Talk about pointless sports.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It should be, and probably will be, banned eventually. But, all sports except synchronized swimming have risks. There are tables around showing relative risk, and football isn't the only sport with a risk of severe head trauma unfortunately.

9. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't mind boxing, but I agree that ultimate fighting is pretty pointless. However, if they are adults then it is their choice to participate. One could argue it is also the choice of a high school student to participate, however if they are under 18 should they really be legally making that choice?

All sports are dangerous, but contact sports do have a much higher rate of injury. As we learn more about traumatic brain injury I would expect that all contact sports will be closely examined.

I agree although actually getting it banned will take many years. I am sure other sports like hockey or even basketball for that matter have a fairly high risk of injury.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do high school aged kids box and such? I'm unsure.
    I don't think football should be banned in HS. If you do that then you just pushed down college ball because you're going to have a bunch of players who haven't really ever played competitively. I think it's a weird domino effect.

11. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I played and loved high school football however, I know that there are quadriplegics because of football and the brain injury issues. It can be very dangerous. Should it be outlawed? I'm undecided.

12. Happybunny, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Uh oh.

Synchronized swimming made the list.

http://www.usasynchro.org/Education...ram/Current_CCP_Opportunities/CCP_Level_3.htm

Risks of groin and hips injuries are just some of the ailments to hit s.s.ers.

14. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I know I feel sort of the same way, however there are also quadriplegics because of cars and we haven't banned them yet. I do feel, however, in the future many sports will be closely scrutinized for injury to children and we might very well see some of the contact sports either highly regulated or completely banned.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Once I experienced one complete local rugby training because my sports teacher (who also was the coach) asked me to. Never ever did I come back. :rolleyes:
    Think about it, jumping at full pace heads first into the legs of a moving brick wall.

That said, I always felt pity for all my fellow pupils who had 3-4 knee operations before even reaching adulthood. If it's neutrally proven (and I guess that won't be hard) that it is seriously dangerous it should get banned from schools imho, that college football would suffer by that isn't a good argument at all.

16. AhmedFaisal, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  17. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Do you think this can be realistically enforced?

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sure there is. Go back to leather helmets. In all seriousness I actually think that would do the trick. I know I would no longer lead with my head if all I had on it was a piece of leather.

While not the same sport, you don't see these types of injuries on a rugby field or on the ice of a hockey game. Both are considered pretty physical games.

19. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I tend to agree on this one.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

We can't ban away every potential danger in life.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is ****ing stupid. All sports have a risk of injury. If you don't want to get hurt, don't play. But don't try to ruin everyone else's fun.

I swear some people must think everyone should live their life in a plastic, padded bubble so they can't get hurt. :rolleyes:

Increase the penalties for deliberate helmet-to-helmet hits and hits on defenseless receivers. The NFL (and also the NHL, though its not football, they also have concussion problems) has seen success in reducing these types of hits by instituting fines and suspensions. Obviously in high school and college, you can't be issuing $21,000 fines, but multiple game suspensions would be a good deterrent.

It all starts with the way you are teaching kids to play the game though. Coaches starting in pee-wee all the way up through college need to hammer it in these kids heads how to tackle properly and not to try to use their helmet as a missile. We've seen this shift over the past couple of decades where coaches are teaching these kids to go for the big hit rather than wrapping the guy up and tackling properly.

We're also seeing new technologies in helmet and padding development. These things could help too.

This is how we are going to have to fix these concussion problems. Increase the penalties for illegal hits and make sure we are teaching the new players the right way to play. Banning everything and ruining everyone's fun is pointless. Thousands of people die in car crashes every year, infinitely more than you'll ever see from sports. Should we ban cars too?

He didn't have a brain injury. And he was medically cleared by teams of doctors before he returned to contact.

22. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

No, but football players might have more teeth left compared to hockey players. :D

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Cars serve an absolutely vital place in the lives of most Americans. Our country would collapse without them.

The same cannot be said for football, or any sporting activity.

----------

I'd prefer that my kid not get brain damage from a completely pointless activity, thanks.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I think you could find a large portion of American's who would disagree with you here. It's the most popular sport in this country by a long shot. Hundreds of thousands of people pack stadiums every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch games.

Then don't let your kid play. But why should you get to decide whether other people's kids can play or not? That's their decision to make.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't care what the right way to hit is but if you have a 400 pound linemen coming at you it's going to hurt either way. These guys are in better shape and run faster than ever, there is no right way to hit when a train is coming full speed.