Should I accept money from my friend for broken phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When my friend's phone got stolen I lent her my spare one (its not particularly valuable but its still a good phone)for a few months until she got a new one. When I gave it to her the charging port was a bit dodgy, but it still charged alright. However while she had it the charging port got worse and worse, then completely came off the board, so the phone cannot charge. So its pretty much useless now, since it can't charge.

Anyway, she offered to pay for the phone, since it broke while she had it. I'm wondering if I should accept money from her, because it wasn't really her fault, the charging port would have broken anyway within a few months of normal use... She also doesn't have much money, so I'd feel a bit bad taking money from her.

On the other hand, although it was a spare phone of mine, it was going to be my little brother's after she had given it back, so if I don't accept the money from her I'll have to pay for it myself anyway...

So what should I do? Should I accept the money from her for my phone?

2. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

don't accept money because it was inevitable and if you gave it to your brother, that would have happened eventually to him anyway. good luck!

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's up to you, but knowing that the port would've broken anyways on a phone I don't use anymore ... and that she's my friend ... I wouldn't take the money.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, true... I won't take the money from her :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is nice that she offered to pay for it, but if it was me I would politely decline her offer.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd offer to go 50/50 on it, if you were planning to use it afterwards. Or even just a little bit of money, because if I were you're friend I'd want to give you a little bit since the phone did break in my possession.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Since she didn't break the phone by her actions and was something that was going to inevitably happen, I would tell her no sweat and wouldn't accept the money.

8. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I told her not to worry about it. Thanks guys!

9. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

She seemed relieved when I told her... I don't think she had the money anyway.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

One more vote for being a nice guy.:D

To me, you did exactly the right thing. And you saved your friend the embarrassment of having to scratch up the money, since it appeared it would have been a burden for her.

Good on you, mate.:D

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Kudos...chocolate coated!

It's a phone that was damaged anyway, a good friend that cares enough to offer to pay for it anyway is hard to come by.

13. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mmm... If I had said yes, when it came down to giving me the money, she just wouldn't have it. Her dads an alcoholic and a gambler, so I don't think she'd have any :(. I'm doubting that her old phone got " stolen" either actually...