Should I be concerned about this screen? Not sure if it is an uneven oleophobic coating.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eedwinn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. eedwinn macrumors newbie

eedwinn

I noticed, under bright sunlight that there seems to be an area of my screen that "looks" different from another part of the screen. Initially I thought that it was just oil from my finger but when I tried to clean it, it does not go away.

Even when I tried to clean it with a damp cloth, that part of the screen drys slower. Do you guys think it is a cause for concern, especially over the long term?

Pictures of the screen when I wipe it with a damp cloth (notice part of the screen dries slower): https://imgur.com/a/Zz79wWV

Also, I realised that part of the screen also gets dirty easier. Should I just use it as it is, or bring it to an Apple store?

2. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I’ve seen coatings wear off after several months but that looks more like a chemical intrusion that obliterated the coating.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Bring it to an Apple store. I’m not saying that they will replace this for you, but something clearly came in contact with the Oleophobic coating causing a reaction/separation. It likely will worsen, and simply the fact I wouldn’t want to see this on my watch display.

4. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

5. eedwinn thread starter macrumors newbie

eedwinn

Yes indeed that is! And less than 1 week old.

6. rgyiv macrumors member

rgyiv

Definitely take it to the Apple store!!

7. DennisdeWit macrumors regular

DennisdeWit

And if they don’t want to help you, just return it and buy a new one.

8. eedwinn thread starter macrumors newbie

eedwinn

Thank you so much guys. I made a trip down to the Apple Store and since it was within 14 days of my purchase, they got me a brand new one. A happy customer of theirs once again!