Should I be concerned about this screen? Not sure if it is an uneven oleophobic coating.

eedwinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I noticed, under bright sunlight that there seems to be an area of my screen that "looks" different from another part of the screen. Initially I thought that it was just oil from my finger but when I tried to clean it, it does not go away.

Even when I tried to clean it with a damp cloth, that part of the screen drys slower. Do you guys think it is a cause for concern, especially over the long term?

Pictures of the screen when I wipe it with a damp cloth (notice part of the screen dries slower): https://imgur.com/a/Zz79wWV

Also, I realised that part of the screen also gets dirty easier. Should I just use it as it is, or bring it to an Apple store?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I noticed, under bright sunlight that there seems to be an area of my screen that "looks" different from another part of the screen. Initially I thought that it was just oil from my finger but when I tried to clean it, it does not go away.

Even when I tried to clean it with a damp cloth, that part of the screen drys slower. Do you guys think it is a cause for concern, especially over the long term?

Pictures of the screen when I wipe it with a damp cloth (notice part of the screen dries slower): https://imgur.com/a/Zz79wWV

Also, I realised that part of the screen also gets dirty easier. Should I just use it as it is, or bring it to an Apple store?
Bring it to an Apple store. I’m not saying that they will replace this for you, but something clearly came in contact with the Oleophobic coating causing a reaction/separation. It likely will worsen, and simply the fact I wouldn’t want to see this on my watch display.

Comment

eedwinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thank you so much guys. I made a trip down to the Apple Store and since it was within 14 days of my purchase, they got me a brand new one. A happy customer of theirs once again!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.