Should I be concerned if my 2012 MBA has a Toshiba SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andyACEcandy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

After reading all these horror stories of failed Toshiba SSDs, should I be concerned about my mid 2012 MBA with a Toshiba 128gb SSD installed?

I passed the firmware test for whatever that's worth.

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

You'll probably drive yourself crazy if you worry about individual components inside each one of your consumer electronics devices. Just use the device and only bring up any concern if it fails to perform.

I realize that this may be an unacceptably pragmatic point of view, but that's the way I'd see things.

Good luck.

3. hchung macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't worry any more than if you had a SanDisk or a Samsung.
    Does it make you feel any better that a guy at Toshiba invented NAND Flash?

All SSDs will fail eventually. That's what Time Machine is for.
    Make backups and stop worrying.

4. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I hate anything made by Toshiba. I had many of their laptops and they where rubbish their service was terrible. This was the reason I changed to Apple 4 years ago.
    I would never buy anything made by Toshiba.:eek:

5. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Apple will replace it for you for free should anything happen to it.

6. andyACEcandy, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

According to that, there is a free replacement program... but I'm worried about it dying in like 6 months. No warranty or receipt or anything... I wonder if Apple would still replace it under this replacement program?

7. dean1012 macrumors regular

It's disconcerning you do not have a receipt. I would try to get one asap if I were you. it's helpful for insurance and a number of other reasons.

With that said, I had a 2008 macbook with the palm rest cracking issue...

They replaced the whole bottom casing in store without receipt or warranty/apple care. Free of charge.

I see no reason they wouldn't do this for you assuming the harddrive breaks prematurely.

8. MacLC macrumors 6502

What a bunch of FUD, off-topic no less. If I ever got a Windows laptop it would likely be Toshiba. I only have a few Toshiba products but they are all great. My 2 Dell laptops on the other hand (because I needed something Windows with Office and they were inexpensive) were slow, loud, hot, randomly crashed, heavy, and loaded with bloatware. That is why I will never get a Windows laptop again even if I can't afford a Macbook.

The OP sounds like FUD too for that matter. Bad firmware is a leading cause of SSD failure and any SSD in any Mac should have updated firmware and if not, you should updated it now. Some manufacturers occasionally have bad batches of drives but those bad batches are not more uncommon with Toshiba. I have never gotten an SSD but if I did I would be fine if it were Toshba.

As somebody said, always back up your data. HDDs usually give audio clues when they start go bad. SSDs have no moving parts and retire themselves silently. It could be 1 week later or it could be 20 years.