Should I be concerned with my unlocked 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moosquared, Nov 22, 2011.

1. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Should I be concerned that my iPhone 4S doesn't show the typical "congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" message?

I placed an order for a factory unlocked iPhone from apple store and it just arrived today. I was using BB before, so I called up AT&T, told them to switch my grandfathered data plan to an iPhone plan and everything went smoothly. I insert my ATT SIM card and do a restore on the iPhone, but I didn't see the "congrats" message. I had an unlocked iPhone 4 which I bought from Canada and it showed me the congrats message whenever I do a restore.

Sooo.... is there any other way you can tell it's unlocked? Other than buying a different SIM card of course. :confused::confused:

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you're fine. I bet you can call Apple and confirm.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Your obviously worried so either try a colleagues / friends micro sim card or call/pop into your apple store to put your mind at rest.

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

It doesn't how that message in factory unlocked iPhones.

5. moosquared thread starter macrumors regular

moosquared

There are already several threads in the forum about iPhone 4S owners receiving the congratulations message. I know it's not a myth, because I owned a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and I did receive the message when I did a restore. It might be different with 4S, but I just want to make sure. Spent $900 to get the unlocked version and it'd suck horribly if I they sent me the wrong one.

I'd probably go to an apple store tomorrow or buy a pre-paid t-mobile SIM and cut it. I just thought I can save the trouble of going to the store or buying if anyone here knows another way to confirm an unlock phone. :D

Thanks all!

6. IO01 macrumors member

My cousin can confirm. She just got her factory unlocked 4S yesterday, and she said that she didn't get the congratulations message either. I gave her a T-mobile prepaid micro SIM to test and she was able to make and receive calls. (Like me, her primary carrier is AT&T.)

7. KPOM macrumors G5

For some reason, it is only the "AT&T unlocked" models that give that message. The factory unlocked models don't.

8. gb21 macrumors newbie

Mine doesn't show either, now that you mention it. the "contract free" phone I had been using (and will return) did.

But I am using the unlocked with with t-mobile right now.

9. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

why dont you insert sim on and see is there signal ? if yet that mean is ok , if no signal that mean apple doesn't sold never lock version which mean official version after restore it turn to lock , i have been talk about this alot in this forum but no one believe me , they all say apple unlock manufactury ,so now i'm right