Should I be installing OSX on both of my internal SSD's?

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
I have dual Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD's installed in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro.. They have both been tested as working properly at SATA-III (6G)..

I make music full-time in Logic X and do a lot of heavy processing.

My plan so far has been to have one of the drives with all the core Mac stuff/Logic X/Plugins/Important System Stuff, and the other drive with all my audio samples/Projects/Plugin Libraries/etc..

I want to ensure that both drives work as quickly and efficiently as possible.. Is it necessary to install OS X on both drives, or is it just good enough to have it on the one?

Should I be installing OSX on both of my internal SSD's for maximal performance?

Thanks! :)

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Installing OS X on both doesn't matter for you performance.
Its supposed to be storage, so i wouldn't. I can't see a reason why.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Should I be installing OSX on both of my internal SSD's for maximal performance?
You can only boot from one copy on any drive at once, so other than making it dual-boot OSX if you needed (and you hadn't RAID-0'd the drives), there will be no performance gain whatsoever.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have dual Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD's installed in my Late 2011 MacBook Pro.. They have both been tested as working properly at SATA-III (6G)..

My plan so far has been to have one of the drives with all the core Mac stuff/Logic X/Plugins/Important System Stuff, and the other drive with all my audio samples/Projects/Plugin Libraries/etc..

I want to ensure that both drives work as quickly and efficiently as possible.. Is it necessary to install OS X on both drives, or is it just good enough to have it on the one?

What would be the point, exactly? The computer will boot from either one, or the other drive(and you're specifying which). Having a second OS X install would simply mean having redundant data on the second SSD that serves absolutely no other purpose than taking up space.

niteflyr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I installed OSX on both drives simply to be able to have an OS available immediately in the event of a drive failure. An external or thumb drive would serve the same purpose if one needs all available internal storage.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I did keep a minimal partition on my second drive. Saved my ass when the first one died two hours before a deadline.

But no, you don't need os x installed on both drive to have them work.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

I think you are talking about Raid 0. Yes, raid 0 will make it a lot faster. Just make sure you keep a time machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.