Should I buy 3GS now, and return it when G4 comes out to get unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

So, I'm not sure how much data I exactly use per month, but I know I use a lot. I think there could possibly be months where I exceed 2GB, but I'm not sure.

I want the cheapest plan I can get, as long as I have as much data as possible, and unlimited texting.

So does anyone know what the monthly bill will be for the minimum amount of minutes (450) + unlimited data + unlimited texting with a 3GS, as compared to 450 minutes + 2GB of data + unlimited texting on the new iPhone?

I'm thinking of getting a 3GS now (maybe for the $97 at Wal-Mart), and returning/exchanging it when the new iPhone comes out.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i think when you return it they cancel your plan. just borrow a smart phone from a friend upgrade it to a iphone one and wait 2 weeks.

3. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you sure they cancel the plan? Even if I go in the store to exchange it for the new iPhone?

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

not sure, tho it could work. call att and they will give you a better answer.

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I did call AT@T,, this will not work. If you turn in the phone you cancel the plan and start over.

6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mess with all of that. Save the $5 a month, you won't go over 2GB of data.

7. Affe macrumors member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. The main reason is because with my student discount, the current data plan comes out to $25.50, and since the new data plan is less than $30, I won't be able to get a discount on it.

Basically, $.50 more for unlimited data.

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

you dont cancel the plan, you just exchange devices

9. lovemyipad macrumors member

10. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really might do this, if it works. Anyone know or not?

11. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I need this strategy to work too. I am currently on another network and looking to switch to AT&T for the new iPhone, but of course would prefer to keep the 5 GB data plan if I can.

So let me ask where there are problems in this strategy:

1. Buy subsidized iPhone 3GS on June 6th on old data plan. Do not use iPhone 3GS. Do not port my current number.

2. Apple announces new iPhone on the 7th to be released June X.

3. When new iPhone is released, return iPhone 3GS, keeping the plan I set up but doing a handset exchange for the new iPhone at the subsidized price.

4. Port my number over.

I am sure there are problems, but I am trying to find a way to get the new iPhone at a subsidized cost and also get the old data plan. Any help?

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not worth the hassle. If you're going over the 2GB cap, you must be using your phone wrong. And even if you do find/execute a loophole in AT&T's data plan policy, eventually you won't have that option anymore anyway after 2 years. Might as well get used to the $5 cheaper plan and lower your usage. You're going to have to anyway, might as well start now.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm amazed at how much money people are willing to throw at AT&T so they can pay more for data and keep buying $500 phones every year; all while bitching about the service and why AT&T won't do anything for them.