Should I buy a 1g TiBook?!

BkkChris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
18
0
So, I finally think that the TiBook can replace my desktop (i hope) the question is should I get ride of my Desktop G4/933 and purchase a new 1ghz TiBook or stick with the Desktop till the new, hopefully redesigned TiBooks come out sometime next year (?). Seeing how my G4/933 and the 1ghz TiBook probably are around the same performance and how I am in the market for a 17/19in LCD, maybe I should just sell the Desktop and put the money for the LCD to the TiBook. Ah, lifes hard questions ;)

Cheers.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Re: Should I buy a 1g TiBook?!

Originally posted by BkkChris
So, I finally think that the TiBook can replace my desktop (i hope) the question is should I get ride of my Desktop G4/933 and purchase a new 1ghz TiBook or stick with the Desktop till the new, hopefully redesigned TiBooks come out sometime next year (?). Seeing how my G4/933 and the 1ghz TiBook probably are around the same performance and how I am in the market for a 17/19in LCD, maybe I should just sell the Desktop and put the money for the LCD to the TiBook. Ah, lifes hard questions ;)

Cheers.
it's not fair asking someone like me who has two laptops in everyday use and the desktop in the closet collecting dust...but the idea of a 1 ghz tibook is the sexiest thing on wheels

just think, lugging around that kind of power and the thing only weighs 5.3 lbs!
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. Would you have to get rid of the PowerMac? That's a nice machine (I've still got my 450MHz G4 at home and it works great!)

And waiting for an upgrade is always iffy - but there will most likely be a bluetooth option added in the near future.

Your best bet is to evaluate what benefit a new machine now would give you.

D
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
I think now is a great time to buy.

Don't worry too much about bluetooth, if you've lived without it up till now you can wait a few more years for it. I got all hyped up on bluetooth but recently i've realized I don't really need it.

My Moto V60 is not bluetooth enabled and i'm not buying a new phone for a year or two. I have no interest in a bluetooth mouse. I like my mice with a cord. And theres not to many other products that i desire that would be bluetooth enabled. I have no interest in owning a PDA.

So evaluate what is important to you then decide. But now is a good time to buy, especially with the double your ram offer. Too bad the sales tax at the apple store makes up the diffrence in what you actually save on ram...:(
 

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
1,772
11
Illinois
Originally posted by Thirteenva
So evaluate what is important to you then decide. But now is a good time to buy, especially with the double your ram offer. Too bad the sales tax at the apple store makes up the diffrence in what you actually save on ram...:(
I won't touch the sales tax issue, but if you want to save some money/get a great deal, talk to backtothemac. He is the sales rep at general cybernetics. I bought mine from him, and I highly recommend GC.
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Originally posted by mcrain


I won't touch the sales tax issue, but if you want to save some money/get a great deal, talk to backtothemac. He is the sales rep at general cybernetics. I bought mine from him, and I highly recommend GC.
Do you know if he can get the 1ghz PB with combo drive??? I have no interest in a superdrive and could stand to save the money, but i think only apple sells the 1ghz with the combo drive because its a BTO option.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
He can get BTO macs, just give him a call. It will probably be a better deal than anything you find elsewhere.

D
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
would you happen to have an email address for him. It would be easier for me to email him from work than to call him and all i really want is a price quote.

How was the shipping cost?? Was there sales tax on it??
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Originally posted by mcrain
Shipping was included if I remember correctly.
Cool, Thanks for the PM, i sent him an email asking for a price quote on a 1ghz with combo and an 867 with combo. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

I'm actually considering the 867 to save myself some cash. I have to pay for this one and my new job said they'd upgrade me the next time around. :D
 

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
1,772
11
Illinois
Originally posted by Thirteenva
Cool, Thanks for the PM, i sent him an email asking for a price quote on a 1ghz with combo and an 867 with combo. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

I'm actually considering the 867 to save myself some cash. I have to pay for this one and my new job said they'd upgrade me the next time around. :D
Buy the most you can afford if you plan on keeping it for a while. If you're using it for work, remember to include in your mental calculations a deduction for the computer (if you are eligible). If you buy it before Dec 31, you get that benefit within a few months too, rather than waiting over a year.

Just a thought. I got the superdrive. I didn't think I'd use the iPod, and I do all the time now. I'm sure even if you don't think you'll use the superdrive, you may end up with a digital video camera at some point, and boom, you'll wish you had one.

m
 

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
265
0
Born in USSR
Yes...

still, Desktop has a different feeling... It is like "home sweet home"...

Money is evil. Instead of replacement You could just add...
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Originally posted by mcrain


Buy the most you can afford if you plan on keeping it for a while. If you're using it for work, remember to include in your mental calculations a deduction for the computer (if you are eligible). If you buy it before Dec 31, you get that benefit within a few months too, rather than waiting over a year.
I'm not sure how long i'll bee keeping, depends on when i feel an upgrade is due :D

It is for work so i should be able to deduct a good portion of it right? How much about, i didnt do this with my current tibook because i bought it through school. If i could get a sizely deduction i'd consider the 1ghz :D



Just a thought. I got the superdrive. I didn't think I'd use the iPod, and I do all the time now. I'm sure even if you don't think you'll use the superdrive, you may end up with a digital video camera at some point, and boom, you'll wish you had one.

m
I'd love an ipod alas money is scarce.....but anyway.... i hear what your saying about the superdrive but i have a couple reasons for not getting it. I need a quick combo cd-r because i'll need to quickly archive clients sites and projects. And because i'll be spending most of my time working on the computer it will have little idle time to burn 2 or 3 hours worth of data onto a dvd. I would imagine it bogs the computer down a little and it would be tough to do development and graphics work while burning a dvd.:D .

Oh and GC did get back to me and you're right the prices are very good. If i buy it will be from them.
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Originally posted by Flickta
Yes...

still, Desktop has a different feeling... It is like "home sweet home"...

Money is evil. Instead of replacement You could just add...
I hear ya, but i need the laptop for work so i can't buy a desktop. Otherwise i'd be all over a DP power mac...
 

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
1,772
11
Illinois
Whatever you choose to get, you will love it. I never had a tiBook before, and got the superdrive 1gig, and I'm in love. I don't know how to do much, and I haven't had the time to really play with it, but I already have discovered that it does everything very quickly, what I have done is incredibly easy, and everyone oohs and ahhhs over it.
 

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
679
0
Originally posted by mcrain
Whatever you choose to get, you will love it. I never had a tiBook before, and got the superdrive 1gig, and I'm in love. I don't know how to do much, and I haven't had the time to really play with it, but I already have discovered that it does everything very quickly, what I have done is incredibly easy, and everyone oohs and ahhhs over it.
Yeah I love my 500mhz tibook but its time to upgrade. I just have to decide on what i can afford/want. Thanks for your help.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.