Should I buy a Macbook Air now? Just sold my iMac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ColdShadow, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

So I've just sold my 21.5 inches mid 2011 iMac to replace it with a Macbook Air.
    But now,I'm getting hesitant as there might be a new Macbook Air coming very soon,I've been without a real computer for a week now and currently solely relying on my iPad Air.(which has it's limitations compared to a real computer).

What do you think? Should I buy it? Do you think a new Macbook Air (likely with Retina display) will arrive in the next few months?

I remember when I bought the iMac in summer of 2012 it was the latest model but I was kinda bummed when they released the re-designed iMacs couple of months after my purchase,so I'd like to avoid that bitter experience.

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

I think you should have considered the possibility of a retina Air before selling your iMac.

If having a retina screen means a lot to you, wait. (I presume you have another machine you can fall back on in the mean time?) If you're looking solely at what specs will suit your needs and you're finding that the current Air lineup has you covered, go for it now.

3. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I got a good deal for the iMac and I had to let it go,if I had waited,the iMac could only loose value.
    I don't care about general specs (CPU etc) too much as I think the current Mabcook Airs are pretty decent performance wise,my only concern is the screen.
    some people say a retina MBA means lower battery life but in case of iPad minis,there was no compromise on battery life when they announced the Retina iPad mini.
    what I'm worry about is that if I buy the current MBA now,Apple might release the Retina version in couple of months with similar battery life,in that case I will be really disappointed with my purchase,specially since it's a replacement for an iMac and not a casual,or first time Mac purchase..

And no I don't have another machine at the moment.just an iPad Air and an iPhone 4s.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Sure, but...

This is true, but you'll also have had your computer for several months and will be able to get the things done that you have to, yes?

5. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

yeah,but it's been a week and I've been fine using the iPad only,I think I can manage another 2 months without a real computer,the question is whether new MBAs will be launched by end of the year,or will Apple aim for a a 2015 launch..

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The most recent rumors place the release of the supposed retina Air sometime around mid 2015. Get an Air now and be happy. If you think you need retina, get a 13 inch retina pro (refurbished to save money).

The current Air is an excellent machine. Unmatched battery life, design, and overall performance. I have a 13 inch retina pro that I went with due to the retina screen. However, I miss the design and battery life of the Air.

Even if you get the Air now and a retina version gets released sooner than later, you can always sell the one you get now, and purchase the retina version. Mac's hold their resale value very well.

7. ColdShadow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I'm not a fan of retina pro's design at all,nor do I like it's bulky-ness.I think I will go for a current Macbook Air..will probably wait another 2 weeks in case new leaks about the Retina Air comes up while I'm deciding on the MBA specs..

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I don't blame you. Like I said I love the display of my retina pro but hate not having a wedged front like the design of the air. The Hard edge of the front does a number on my wrist after a while. The form factor of the Air is second to none.

9. VanDerMac macrumors newbie

+1 on this. Your wrist will thank you in the long run with the wedged front design.