Should i buy a macbook right now if i can get a discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Docbml, May 17, 2012.

1. Docbml macrumors newbie

I am a senior in high school and will soon be buying a macbook pro in a couple weeks for college. I know that new models are coming out later but i don't know if they will be worth the wait. I am a moderate to intermediate user and do basic video conversions and moderate gaming (steam games, Warcraft three). I am currently using a mac mini 2010 and it is working fine for me so i know that a current gen macbook pro 15 will be more than enough power. Will the rumored updates in the next model warrant a wait for the things that i have to do. I will be using the computer next year in college and will be studying business so i don't need heavy programs on it which are required for engineering.:apple:

Also i like having a odd in my computers since some of my programs require it

The programs that i use normally are VLC, ms office, utorrent, boot camp(windows 7), any video converter, steam games (counter strike and day of defeat)

And the discount I would get would be 15% off the total purchase including a warranty. I am looking to get the base model MBP for 1799 retail. My real worry with the update besides a lack of odd is that the price will go up.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Worst case if you wait is that you get an even better deal on a 2011 model.

I would expect the price on the refurbished 2011 models to drop a bit once the new models are announced, and resellers like Amazon and MacMall will probaby have decent discounts too.

3. Docbml thread starter macrumors newbie

My thing is though that i can only buy new and from apple only. So i am stuck with the decision between 2011 model and thew new update.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Apple directly sells the old models brand new as refurbs.

5. Docbml thread starter macrumors newbie

So they weren't used ever? How would i know if it was an old not used machine or an old used one?

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They were purchased by someone but returned and reconditioned by Apple to just as good as new. Here's the page with all of the details for Apple Certified Refurbished Macs:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

They come with the same 1 year warranty and you can add the additional AppleCare warranty just like a new one.

Any particular reason why you have to buy new?

7. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I definitely recommend buying refurb instead of brand new with the educational discount. It is more cost effective especially for a graduating HS student.

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

When a new model comes out, they sell remaining stock of old models on the refurb store. You won't know whether you're getting a brand new one or a refurb, but it won't matter. Apple and most other companies that directly sell refurbs sell them in like new condition.

9. Docbml thread starter macrumors newbie

I would buy new for two reasons. One being that my parents have a thing about it (don't ask me just their thing) but also even if i convince them i don't think we could get the 15% then. We know the manager of an apple store and he said he can just take 15% off the price for us. I don't know if it will apply if it is online.

But the purchasing new or refurbished aside. Do you guys think that the upgraded model is actually worth waiting for considering my usage habits?

10. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

My Mom is like that too. She doesn't trust refurbs at ALL.

11. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Hahah, same here. End up refurbishing them myself and she doesnt get it :)

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I guess the biggest difference in every day use would be if it had an SSD by default, at least big enough for the OS and your main apps. That's something that would make a big difference in the general feel of the computer. Boot up will be faster, as will opening apps and files and anything else that requires disk access.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

With all the rumors indicating a new one is just around the corner I think it would be foolish to buy one now. The only change that might effect you would be the lack of an ODD. If that happens just use an external.

14. coolguy$$$ macrumors member

If you want to get a real bargain, wait till the new MBP 2012 comes out. Then buy a 2011 MBP with apple care and put a SSD in it.

IVY Bridge -> there is not a huge processor improvement compared to SANDY Bridge other than HD4000

USB 3.0 -> For a normal user, USB 2.0 is sufficient. TB drives may become cheaper so, you get that option as well

HD4000 -> ATI card on MBP 2011 is more than enough for an average user.

Retina Display -> This is a deal breaker, but Retina display could be an expensive addition anyway.

If you are a standard computer user, and not fussed about latest tech. This is a good solution for you.

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

When it comes to Apple refurbs that's actually a mistake. I've bought a bunch, both personally and for work, and they're indistinguishable from new. Ok, they come in a plain box. That's how you can tell :)

16. Docbml thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all the help! I might try and wait, when will the new macbooks probably be available? I am just being a little bit impatient because it is my first laptop! My 2010 mac mini is more than enough for what i do now so i know that a 2011 macbook pro 15 or 2012 will blow what i have now out of the water. The upgrades may not be so worth it for me to wait, especially if the price goes up.

Do you think that the price of the new MBP will be similar to the price of the current model?

17. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Right now, it seems it will be released during WWDC. So between June 11th and June 15th.
    I'm not exactly sure about the pricing. With all the rumours flying around, I would speculate the new MBP's might cost a little more.

18. Docbml thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like a little kid again lol. I am trying so hard to fight the urge to buy a MBP this weekend! June 11th/15th seems too far away!!! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

----------

Do you think that the standard four gigs of ram should be enough for my usage?