Should I buy a MBP 17" on Black Friday or before then if I am a student?

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
If I were to wait until Black Friday to order from the Apple Store would the discount on MBP 17" models be worth waiting for (i.e. is it much better than the Student Discount?) and has the Black Friday discount ever been stackable with the Education pricing? Thanks in advance.

Deathbyfugu

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Who knows.

Black Friday is a week away, just wait and see for yourself. There's plenty of rumors about what may and may not be on sale. Just wait 8 days and you'll see for yourself.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Get it with student discount. For a 17", it'll be around 15% off. Black Friday might be up to that much. But, you get 3 years AppleCare for only ~$100 with student discount, which is a big saving.

Not sure if there is any printer rebates on at the moment for students, worth checking.

Comment

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Alright, sounds good! Sorry I probably sounds terribly impatient (because I am!), but I suppose that it is the best option for me.

Comment

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Get it with student discount. For a 17", it'll be around 15% off. Black Friday might be up to that much. But, you get 3 years AppleCare for only ~$100 with student discount, which is a big saving.

Not sure if there is any printer rebates on at the moment for students, worth checking.
The Applecare is $240 with the Education Discount...

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The Applecare is $240 with the Education Discount...
Are you just checking the education store? Or are you in "higher" education? To view the higher education store (which has much higher discounts) you need to access it from your campus network, assuming you are eligible for the higher education store (college/university).

Comment

mdoog

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Are you just checking the education store? Or are you in "higher" education? To view the higher education store (which has much higher discounts) you need to access it from your campus network, assuming you are eligible for the higher education store (college/university).
It is $183 for my college. Not quite your ~$100

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well, it is £60 in the UK, which at current exchange rate is $100.

As I said, your college maybe isn't part of the Higher Education Store.. you can't view it unless you are on campus and specifically navigate to the HE Store, not just the education store..

Comment

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009

As I said, your college maybe isn't part of the Higher Education Store.. you can't view it unless you are on campus and specifically navigate to the HE Store, not just the education store..
My college is part of the discount program, but apparently ours is tailored differently than yours.

Comment

bmstrong

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Wait! You'll kick yourself if there is something. The EDU discount is always on, 365.

Comment

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Wait! You'll kick yourself if there is something. The EDU discount is always on, 365.
I agree hehe! I'll wait and if it doesn't work out to be better, then I'll at least feel assured in my purchase or if it is better or is stackable, then I'll save a good penny.

Comment

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007

The "Higher Education" program is specific to the UK. Universities in the US have their own personal Apple Online Store (Kansas, for example, has one that is clearly labeled "University of Kansas" at the top). AppleCare on a MacBook Pro is nowhere close to $100 in the states if you're getting it from Apple.

Comment

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Typically the student discounts are always a bit better than the BF discounts. But in this case, we're talking about waiting 7 days to order. You might be able to save some money. Maybe not... but a week is not very much!

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The "Higher Education" program is specific to the UK. Universities in the US have their own personal Apple Online Store (Kansas, for example, has one that is clearly labeled "University of Kansas" at the top). AppleCare on a MacBook Pro is nowhere close to $100 in the states if you're getting it from Apple.
Ah, wasn't aware of the US equivalent.

Makes a change for us Brits to be getting the better deals ;)

Comment

deathbyfugu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Typically the student discounts are always a bit better than the BF discounts. But in this case, we're talking about waiting 7 days to order. You might be able to save some money. Maybe not... but a week is not very much!
So just to confirm - the discount ARE NOT stackable, correct? That is on Friday I'll have to make the choice between my student discount and whatever Apple chooses to offer the rest of the U.S. populace?

Edit: And also seeing as these laptops are currently out and not being updated, if I choose to upgrade to the 7200 rpm hdd and have iWork preinstalled how fast do these machines typically get configured and shipped out?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.