Should I buy a MBP 17" on Black Friday or before then if I am a student?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deathbyfugu, Nov 19, 2009.

1. deathbyfugu macrumors newbie

If I were to wait until Black Friday to order from the Apple Store would the discount on MBP 17" models be worth waiting for (i.e. is it much better than the Student Discount?) and has the Black Friday discount ever been stackable with the Education pricing? Thanks in advance.

Deathbyfugu

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Who knows.

Black Friday is a week away, just wait and see for yourself. There's plenty of rumors about what may and may not be on sale. Just wait 8 days and you'll see for yourself.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just wait - there is only a risk that you get a better deal.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Get it with student discount. For a 17", it'll be around 15% off. Black Friday might be up to that much. But, you get 3 years AppleCare for only ~$100 with student discount, which is a big saving.

Not sure if there is any printer rebates on at the moment for students, worth checking.

5. deathbyfugu thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, sounds good! Sorry I probably sounds terribly impatient (because I am!), but I suppose that it is the best option for me.

6. deathbyfugu thread starter macrumors newbie

The Applecare is $240 with the Education Discount...

7. kolax macrumors G3

Are you just checking the education store? Or are you in "higher" education? To view the higher education store (which has much higher discounts) you need to access it from your campus network, assuming you are eligible for the higher education store (college/university).

8. mdoog macrumors newbie

It is $183 for my college. Not quite your ~$100

9. kolax macrumors G3

Well, it is £60 in the UK, which at current exchange rate is $100.

As I said, your college maybe isn't part of the Higher Education Store.. you can't view it unless you are on campus and specifically navigate to the HE Store, not just the education store..

10. smknSRT8 macrumors newbie

I see for the MBP greater than 13 inch is 249 and any 13 inch is 183.

11. deathbyfugu thread starter macrumors newbie

My college is part of the discount program, but apparently ours is tailored differently than yours.

12. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Wait! You'll kick yourself if there is something. The EDU discount is always on, 365.

13. deathbyfugu thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree hehe! I'll wait and if it doesn't work out to be better, then I'll at least feel assured in my purchase or if it is better or is stackable, then I'll save a good penny.

14. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

The "Higher Education" program is specific to the UK. Universities in the US have their own personal Apple Online Store (Kansas, for example, has one that is clearly labeled "University of Kansas" at the top). AppleCare on a MacBook Pro is nowhere close to $100 in the states if you're getting it from Apple.

15. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Apple has never discounted the 17" on BF. Not even the 15".

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Typically the student discounts are always a bit better than the BF discounts. But in this case, we're talking about waiting 7 days to order. You might be able to save some money. Maybe not... but a week is not very much!

17. kolax macrumors G3

Ah, wasn't aware of the US equivalent.

Makes a change for us Brits to be getting the better deals ;)

18. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

http://guides.macrumors.com/Black_Friday looks like I was right. Not even the PowerBook was ever discounted. At most we might see the 13" MBP get a discount.

19. deathbyfugu thread starter macrumors newbie

So just to confirm - the discount ARE NOT stackable, correct? That is on Friday I'll have to make the choice between my student discount and whatever Apple chooses to offer the rest of the U.S. populace?

Edit: And also seeing as these laptops are currently out and not being updated, if I choose to upgrade to the 7200 rpm hdd and have iWork preinstalled how fast do these machines typically get configured and shipped out?