Should I buy a MBP now or is a new one coming soon?

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
100
0
I have decided to buy a MacBook Pro 13". It's the one with lowest specs in the Apple Online Shop. But I read somewhere, that Apple would be upgrading their MacBook Pros soon.

So I just wanna know if it's true that they'll upgrade them soon and, if true, when.

Thanks in advance. :)
 

spinnerlys

Guest
Sep 7, 2008
14,335
7
forlod bygningen
There are already lots of threads SPECULATING about a January update of MBPs, so why a new one?

Apple lets us know on the day the release those things, no iota earlier.
 

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
2,367
1,443
...

They will probobly update soon, however I seriously doubt there will be anything major done to the 13" macbook pro. If you look at the macbook which is brand new and just slightly cheaper than the macbook pro you can tell easily that if they add a feature to the pro it will be very minor such as a SLIGHT speed bump (2.53 instead of 2.26) in the base model and increasing the hdd to 250 or 320gb, and then in the 15 and 17 give an option for a new gen processor while keeping the base at slightly faster core 2 duos. If they do anythign else with the 13" pro it will hurt the white macbook too much unless they bump the price on the pro
 

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
2,421
2,352
USA
They will probobly update soon, however I seriously doubt there will be anything major done to the 13" macbook pro. If you look at the macbook which is brand new and just slightly cheaper than the macbook pro you can tell easily that if they add a feature to the pro it will be very minor such as a SLIGHT speed bump (2.53 instead of 2.26) in the base model and increasing the hdd to 250 or 320gb, and then in the 15 and 17 give an option for a new gen processor while keeping the base at slightly faster core 2 duos. If they do anythign else with the 13" pro it will hurt the white macbook too much unless they bump the price on the pro
^ agreed. I suspect any updates will be next gen processors for the 17 and high end 15's with the low end 15's and 13's seeing minor spec bumps in core2duo's... also they MIGHT go to an entry level 4 gigs of ram for all pros (less likely), and i suspect the low end 13 will get a new HDD from 160 to 250GB. Thats about all though.
 

iFirmware

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
17
0
the updates are all speculated but even if you get one now it will be really good, its a risk whatever you do really, apple are veery unpredictable
 

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
1,212
2
Austin, Tx
At this point in time, you just have to wait and see what the new
machines have to offer. Anyway, even if you don't go for one of those,
the current models will go down $100-200. Its a win-win scenario.
 

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
167
2
The new MacBooks for 2021 will have 320 core processors and holographic displays, you should wait for them. Or personally I might wait for the MäcBocken range due in 2040. Choices, choices.

More seriously, there is always a new model due in the near future. It's pointless delaying specifically for some unknown future model that may or may not be released for more or less money with better or worse features.
 

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
3,599
0
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Gah. Another day, another "buy now or wait?" thread.

More seriously, there is always a new model due in the near future. It's pointless delaying specifically for some unknown future model that may or may not be released for more or less money with better or worse features.
Or another way to look at it is that no matter when you buy you're probably getting a better system than the people who bought six months or a year ago.
 

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
987
85
Scottsdale
damn i am tired of these kinds of threads...why can't people search before posting?:(

OP, don't buy now..there are a lot of rumors that apple will update their notebook line in January...its just one month left so wait.
 

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
7,563
32
You can never be up to date with the latest technology. I think a new one might come in March.

Bite the Bullet.
 

svndmvn

Guest
Nov 6, 2007
1,301
0
Italy
"soon" is quite relative
How long can you wait? It's not coming in December, could be coming in January but if it doesn't could you wait till March? I know I'm waiting, even till March but I'm almost positive they'll be updated in January
 

ozcanfm

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
10
0
Hehehe I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago but ended up buying anyway. Happy with the MBP. I've upgraded the RAM to 4GB and left the HDD as is at 160GB. I have an external drive anyway so no need to upgrade and plus I can upgrade later if I really wanted to.

Like its been said, you can never catchup on technology unless you can afford to upgrade to the new model every year. Personally I think a laptop should be upgraded every 3 years so by then the new 2013 MBP will be much better then what I have and therefore warrant an upgrade. Plus I alwasy give my old laptops to family so its a win-win.

I'm pretty sure the MBP 13" will get an upgrade because its too close to the MB 13" specs and apple needs a diffrentiator. CPU to increase + 4GB ram and 320GB HDD is my bet.
 

Similar threads

  • EEzycade
5
Replies
5
Views
274
  • Deathyang
0
Replies
0
Views
148
  • SteelBlueTJ
7
Replies
7
Views
632
Replies
5
Views
608
  • kitska
1
Replies
1
Views
347
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.