Should I buy a nano now or can I afford to wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roisin and mac, Mar 30, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hi everyone!

I was just reading the thread on whether Apple were going to update the nano range this summer, and there seemed to be rather a lot of posters there who thought they might do that not just by putting in larger capacities/lowering prices, but by doing away with the current click-wheel controls and replacing them with a 'touchable' interface like on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

That rather got me worried, because I am thinking of buying a new music/media player sometime in the next few months, and I was after something really small and slim like the nano, with physical buttons to adjust volume, move between tracks, and pause/resume playback without having to always look at the actual screen of the thing. So in other words, the nano seemed ideal :)

So if there's a significant likelihood of the nanos going all touchy feely :), it'd be nice to know so I can stop stalling and get my mitts on one of the current ones before they disappear ;)

Btw, I posted the question on the thread too, but I think it might have been kind of off-topic there, so I made a separate thread. At the same time I didn't want to zap that post away 'cause there'd been at least one more post after mine, so I was worried it might look weird if I just erased it :/

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Even if they do go touchy, there will be refubs of the old style (in the refurb part of the store, obviously) for awhile. BTW, there's a deal in refurb nanos right now - you get a $15 itunes card free with a purchase. That may argue that apple is trying to clear out the old ones to get ready for the new. Or it may mean they just have too darn many. Hmm... guess that's why this site is macrumors. :D

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Yeah, I think your best bet would be to get a refurb/second-hand previous generation nano, then sell it in September, and get the newest one.

4. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting about the refurbs, but I can't get them where I am right now. Which is no big deal 'cause I'll probably be moving to somewhere where I can sometimes in the next few months, but still. But oh, I do hope the physical-controls players won't be made to disappear! I'm very fond of them, the way you can control the player without looking at it (even if it takes a bit of practice), is just sooo useful! And being able to do it straight from the player, without the need for an extra object like a remote is great--much less Stuff to carry around, and the player is less conspicuous for going around dodgy bits of town and what not :)

That's just it though. I wouldn't be interested in selling a current nano to get the new nano if the latter has the touchy interface. In fact, this time 'round I was choosing between a nano and a Touch, and I dumped the Touch from the short-list because of the lack of off-screen controls--even though I was dead-keen on the built-in browser, which is pretty much a dream come true for me :p! But I thought the nano would be better as my main player because of the click-wheel, and if I got money to spare in the next months, I could get a refurb/good second-hand Touch to use on longer trips and things like that--as a secondary machine.

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Oh sorry, I misread your first post. :eek:

Anyway, if 8GB is enough for you, and you think the current price is good enough, I would say buy as soon as you can, however, you should not be worried about waiting until September, because whatever happens you will still be able to get a 3rd gen nano refurbished from Apple.