should i buy a new DVD drive for my macbook before i sell it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by graphicsward, Oct 31, 2010.

  1. graphicsward macrumors member

    graphicsward

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    #1
    I'm just looking for everyones opinion on what i should do. I have a Macbook (specs below) thats about two and a half years old and the DVD drive stopped working. I never really use it so i'm not worried... but i plan on selling it and getting an imac next summer. Is it worth paying to replace the drive to sell the macbook? would i get that much more money for it?


    Macbook (first unibody edition)
    osx 10.5.8
    2.4GHz intel
    4GB ram
    250GB hard drive

    thanks much for everyones input.
     
  2. kingsal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    #2
    1. How much will replacing it cost?
    2. How much do you expect to sell it for (w/o working optical drive)?
    3. How much do you want to spend on an iMac?
     
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #3
    http://www.ifixit.com/

    It really is not that hard to replace the drive yourself. iFixit has video showing step by step instructions.

    I would guess it is worth it if you do it yourself, but if you have to pay to get it done I don't think you will recoup that cost when you sell. There are a lot of Macbooks listed on eBay with inop optical drives. Search eBay for completed sales of these items and compare to completed sales of fully functional Macbooks to decide.
     
  4. graphicsward thread starter macrumors member

    graphicsward

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    #4
    I'm not sure about fixing it myself, i did that with my old ibook and ended up killing the computer.. i think it was just bad luck but i'd be very nervous to do it again. this one has never been opened so i still don't know whats in it.

    I don't know how much i could get for it with or without, I'll check ebay to see what they have sold.

    The imac i want will cost about $2500 (probably wait for the next update) but that doesn't really affect the decision about the macbook. I just want to know if i'd be able to recoup my costs if i did replace it. It's been down for about a year and i haven't needed it yet so i have no use for it if it was replaced.
     

Share This Page