Should i buy a new iPhone 4s or just get a 2nd hand iPhone 4???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samsandy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. samsandy macrumors member

Should i buy a new iPhone 4s or just get a 2nd hand iPhone 4???

Should i get iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S?
    iPhone 4 16GB
    2nd hand
    $650
    $20 a month plan
    20min
    1000 Texts
    200MB of data

iPhone 4S
    NEW
    $650
    $45 a month plan
    100 Min
    2500 Texts
    250Mb data

I dont know if I should spend $45 a month on a plan.
    Note all prices are NZD

is $45 to much a month for a plan???

2. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

all depends on how much money you have to spend.
    people on this forum have a wide range of income so your replies will also vary.

3. tygrubb macrumors regular

I won't comment on the issues of plan prices, but I would like to make an observation about the phones themselves. A 4S is essentially a refined 4, with the 4's design flaws addressed. For example, I and many others have had a horrible time with the Home button going faulty on the 4. I had the phone replaced twice under warranty for the same issue--the home button quit working--and my second replacement eventually had it's Home button fail also....only this time it wasn't under warranty. Apple admitted a design flaw, which I assume they addressed for the design of the 4S. If the home button on 4 goes out, you're looking at either limping along with iOS 5's assistive touch menu (annoying) or paying around half the cost of a new subsidized phone to get it fixed, with no guarantee that the problem won't recur.

Then there's the so-called death grip issue. It was really only a problem in low-signal areas; the thing, I and lot of other people a lived low-signal area, so it did become a problem. The antenna design of the 4S specifically addresses this.

And to top it all off, the camera on the 4 had HORRID indoor white balancing; pics taken under tungsten lights were so badly yellow that it couldn't be corrected even in professional post-procesing software. The 4S is not anywhere near perfect in indoor lighting conditions (even professional cameras have difficulty with auto white balance indoors), but it is a noticeable improvement and knocks the yellowing down enough to where the white balance of the resulting photos are reasonably correctable in post-processing.

Oh, and the 4S has a much improved speakerphone and noise cancellation.

So if you're going to be paying out even roughly equivalent amounts of money, and all other things being equal, I'd go for the 4S.

4. Ktdhc macrumors member

In terms of practical use, there really is no difference between the 4 and 4S.

Siri is a gimmick and apps loads maybe 5-10% faster (I think actual numbers are higher but I'm just saying what it seems like in real use).

Experiencing better graphics on some very limited games, like Infinity Blade 2, might be a different story.

I don't like the "used" part though. I, personally, would always go with something new.

5. samsandy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your in depth response. I was unaware of the home button issues with the iPhone 4. My iPod Touch has home button issues which are an extreme pain. I have had my iPod touch for around 2 years and its time for an upgrade. I will seriously be looking at getting on around Christmas, just hoping for a boxing day special :) Thanks so much.

Oh and another question what colour would you get?