Should I buy a new iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audiralley, Apr 27, 2012.

1. audiralley macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS and recently my screen broke and I attempted to fix my screen and failed. I'm out of contract, should I get the iPhone 4S now or wait for the iPhone 5? :apple::confused:

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I were in your shoes I would wait, unless of course you have no way to get a cheap replacement for the time being.

3. MadMitch89 macrumors regular

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'd wait now, while the new iPhone 5 probably won't come until October, its too late in the product cycle now to buy a nearly 2 year old design. :cool:

5. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would see how much it would cost to get it fixed.

You could try and buy one off of eBay for now to keep your contract open for the next one... or just buy the 4S and sell it once the new iPhone comes out. Sell it when you get the new one and eat the difference. Personally, I wouldn't be able to use a feature phone for 5-6 months since we have no idea when the new phone will come out.

Personally, I would try to get the current one fixed and if that costs way too much then get a new one on contract. Sell that, buy the new one unsubsidized. Expensive but best option imo.

7. DavoteK macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 (ya know, the one released nearly 2yrs ago) is still worth around £225 ($370) to these phone trade in sites. Haven't looked on eBay, but I'd wager that you're looking at around £300 for a good condition iPhone 4.

So, that tells you the price holds really well.

Rumour is that its gonna be October releases for the next generation of iPhone. Then again, there's an event in June and they could switch it up and release it then. All speculation and conjecture.

The only fact you have is that the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S will hold their price really well and if you really really have to get the latest generation iPhone come release time (be it Summer or Autumn/Fall), then you know that you can get a decent amount of cash back for the current model you have and get the latest at a small premium.

I have an upgrade in 3 weeks and I will be waiting until June 11th to see what happens then, no iPhone, I get an iPhone 4S and then sell up and buy the next gen iPhone in October (should there be one).

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can get a used iPhone 4 in the states for under $300 from a private seller pretty easily IME. I think that is going to drop when the next iPhone is launched (the 3GS will likely stop getting support and the 4 will be the base model phone).

9. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Or just get another 3gs used if you can't fix it, even cheaper. Plus you'll be that much more impressed with the 5 later on. :p

10. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Not so great in the states compared to the UK then.

Out of interest, how much is a 2yr old Android/Windows/Symbian/WebOS phone going for at the moment?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depends on the phone, obviously. But "good" phones $150-200.

12. audiralley thread starter macrumors newbie

I have decided to fix my current iPhone. I was going to opt for a "dumbphone" but I can't live without my iPhone (not a fanboy).

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Good idea. How much is it going to cost you?

14. audiralley thread starter macrumors newbie

$85

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Fix it or get something used. Don't buy new and eat a 2 year contract. You'll kick yourself. Over and over.

I held on to my 3GS until last year and finally bought a 4 used for $275 and now have my contract open for whatever I wish to do, when I want to do it.

16. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Once you start waiting you will never stop look at it this way.
    iPhone 5 is release unless your lucky you will have to wait 2 month before you can actually get one due to stock issues by that time your thinking there will be a new 1 in 10 month or what if they release then iPhone 6 early and go back to a June/July release date.
    Never mind I'll just wait.

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I wasn't happy with the performance of my 3GS on IOS5 so I got a 4S about two weeks ago. Love it--if you need a new phone, buy it now--don't wait. :)

18. audiralley, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

audiralley thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my iPhone is un-repairable. I'll just buy a cheap replacement phone and buy the new iPhone 5 when it comes out :cool:

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

My iPhone 4 is giving me hell, i got it on release day.

I'm hoping it will limp along until the next iPhone comes out.

My hope is the design will change because I am reading where many are experiencing the same issue I am. I baby my iPhone, no way it should be doing what it is doing and the 'fix' leads me to believe Apple did something wrong inside thought I am still trying to research it.

Mic stops working, open it up and tighten down one screw and it works again ... until it stops working again.

I'm getting tired of opening the damn thing up just to tighten down one screw!!!

C'mon iPhone 5 and PLEEEEEEEZ be a new design !!!!

20. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

You should get android or just get a cheap iphone 4. The iphone 4s ain't worth the money. It wasn't already worth it when it was first launched but it certainly isn't now.

21. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

I'd wait if i were you, or id get the htc one x :)