Should I buy a powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ssnmx, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. ssnmx macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2004
    Monterrey, MX
    It's for my sister, she wants a 15inch PowerBook... but I don't know if Apple will introduce new products any time soon. If that is the case, I would advice her to wait a little while... what do you think?
  2. virividox macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    no one knows when the products will be released
    but the longer u wait the more likel it becomes

    does your sister need it for college or the next school year?

    if so wait for a while. if she needs it urgently then get it.
  3. ssnmx thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2004
    Monterrey, MX
    Nah, actually I'm the one in college (with a 12in PB, :D) and I'm getting my sister to switch. She's a techie but fashion-oriented, too, so she wants a mac.

    I guess she's pretty desperate, but it would suck if they introduced, dunno, PB G5s in April !!
    I think she would hate me.......
  4. GregUofMN macrumors regular

    Nov 15, 2003
    G5 Powerbooks aren't expected until the end of summer (I believe). However, I bought a G4 in September/October because I needed a new computer ASAP. The thing with Apple is that they have such a great resale value. If your sister needs one right away and doesn't necissarily need a Powerbook, but can settle for an older version of the iBook, many places are selling unused (new) iBooks, but their older version. Then she can upgrade when the G5 PB come out.
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    i don't know where you got this from... G5 PBs aren't expected any time at all...

    anyway, what difference does it make from usage point of view if G5 PB comes out? were you (or your sister) planning on rushing out to get G5 optimized software all of the sudden if G5 PB came out? if you think semi-rationally, the only reason an updated computer would bother you is because you lose the ever-so-elusive "owning the top of the line" computer feeling. regardless of when you buy a computer, you lose that in about half a year. so the wise thing is, in general**, get the computer when you want to start using it. then once you start using one, don't look back - what difference does it make? computers are getting faster and faster all the time anyway.

    ** i said in general because with macs, it's probably not a good idea to buy a computer right before MWSF, for example. but since there's no big apple conference until the summer, it's anyone's guess when the updates will next occur...
  6. Barham macrumors regular


    Feb 5, 2004
    There is usually an update to the Powerbook line sometime between Feb and April. My guess is that they will be updated at the beginning of April or End of March. There is currently a Powerbook Trade-in Pilot going on at apple that allows Powerbook users to upgrade from an older book to the newest ones When it ends, Apple will most likely release a G4 update for the Powerbook.

    I would wait until the next revision unless it is absolutely crucial that the computer arrives ASAP.

  7. blackfox macrumors 65816


    Feb 18, 2003
    to buy or not to buy...

    What kind of things would your sister be doing on this new machine? Although I desperately want the PB architecture to be updated (167mhz bus!!), the current machines are fast enough, and from a design perspective untouchable...that the current models should suffice...unless the next update has a G5(w/new architecture)(unlikely) or a new G4 (with a new bus/memory controller)(extremely unlikely) then buy now or wait at least 6-8 months for yet another revision...that simple. I wish I had a sibling like you...
  8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

    Savage Henry

    Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

    Agree with that one. The G5 is draing far too much power at the moment. And after just coming out of the woods for the iPod battery lasting problems, it would be a shame for Apple to go back in them for releasing a laptop that needed charging every 30 minutes.

    Buy now. She'll love it.
  9. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    here are the last 6 updates to the PB line since the introduction of Ti.

    jan. '01 - Ti PB introduced
    nov. '01 - gigabit ethernet
    april '02 - dvi
    nov. '02 - 1 ghz
    jan. '03 - 12/17" Al
    sept. '03 - 15" Al

    as you can see, it's "any day now" stage right about now...
  10. Opteron macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    First off, your a very generous brother. Why not give here your powerbook and then you can wait until the new models are released;)
  11. gemio17 macrumors regular

    Nov 13, 2003
    I just bought a 15"- I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't be too worried about buyers remorse, these machines are soooo HOT!! and if the update comes out in 10 days from when your machine ships, you get a refund of the price difference. That said, any improvements they make to the line will not be that crazy. I waited for 3 months for an update and finally said screw it and just whipped out the plastic. There is nothing more satisfying than buying one of these'll be a great machine, and if she wants a G5 pb she can sell the alu later.
  12. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Well it might happen - I am one of the one's waiting - but it could be July, it could be October, it could be MacWorld 2005...

    If she needs it now then get her the machine so she can switch. If it gets an upgrade then wait for the rev b G5PB mid next year (I guess) and switch again to that then.
  13. ssnmx thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2004
    Monterrey, MX
    thanks to all for your comments...

    I believe everybody agrees that I should buy now regardless.
    It's funny, because I went with my sister and her boyfriend to a coffee shop and of course I took my PB and then I showed it to my sister's boyfriend (PC lover :( ) and he absolutely fell in love with it, he thought we were still in Mac OS 9!! So he started asking about configuration, prices, etc. And surprisignly he didn't complain about the typical "too expensive" because he saw mine and he said it is perfect (the price for what it has) and he is now planning to get one!

    That's so funny... Everyone says I should work with Apple, because I get all excited when I talk about my mac. I agree, I should get a commission from Apple, LOL :D... I just love converting long-time PC users in a matter of minutes!!

    Bottomline: my sister's PB should arrive any time soon.

Share This Page