Should I buy a refurb iPad 2 32gb ($419) or The New iPad 32gb ($619)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jasonw76, May 11, 2012.

1. jasonw76, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

jasonw76 macrumors newbie

I had a first generation iPad I sold prior to release and announcement of The New iPad and am now debating whether to buy a refurb iPad 2 32gb form Apple or a New iPad 32gb. With the recent price drop of now $200 compared to the New iPad which would you recommend I buy.

Use: This will be mainly used for web surfing, basic apps and for our daughter to use for her piano lessons. I am not a gamer except for the basic Cut the Rope or Angry Birds.

Thanks for all your comments in advance.

JW

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Depends on what you want to use it for.

The compelling feature of the new one is the screen.

The compelling feature of the old one is the price.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In terms of performance, I don't think you'll notice a huge difference. As you know, the biggest improvement over the iPad 2 is the retina display which in my opinion makes the new iPad much more enjoyable. I read a lot, and the sharper text really makes a big difference to me. However, its also a hindrance in a way, because Apple didn't upgrade the processor enough to drive the new display *and* go to the next level in performance. It pretty much matches the iPad 2 but does not exceed it.

The price for the iPad 2 refurb is really good and you could use that for a year until the iPad 4 comes out--which will undoubtedly have superior performance. However, if you want to hang on to your iPad for two years or more I'd go with the new.

4. Techwriter macrumors regular

I agree completely. I ordered the refurbished iPad 2 late last night, and it's already shipped. I believe I will be able to sell it for 1/2 the price I paid and upgrade to the iPad 4 when it's released. So far, iPads have held their value very well.

For $150, I will be able to enjoy my iPad 2 for a year. That's less than I would have paid for a Kindle Fire or another Android tablet. In my opinion, there's no comparison.

5. michael_aos macrumors 6502

I bought the original iPad the first day it was released. I still have it.

I've never touched an iPad 2.

I bought The New iPad the first day it was released.

I love the 3rd generation iPad. It's really fast compared to the original. The original iPad was starting to feel slow and now it's almost painfully so.

I've done several side-by-side comparisons myself and with friends and none of us can see ANY difference in the display.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Then you have some really blind friends. :eek: :D

Please note: The above was humor, intended to be funny. If your sense of humor is missing and/or in poor working order, please ignore.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

new ipad ftw!

reading with it is so much better :)

its really worth the extra. i know you didnt say you were getting cell data but the LTE is awesome

8. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I recommend the iPad2 for your uses. I went from the iPad to iPad3, having also used my mothers iPad2 on and off and to be honest, the difference in screen to me is negligable. Its a pretty screen but really if you don't NEED retina (which was MORE than fine on my mom's iPad2), save yourself some money and go for the 2.

9. wmitch macrumors regular

go refurb

I bought the new 32gb on launch day and If I had it to do over again after comparing w/family member's ipad2, I would have gone w/the refurb. the screen is nice but you really do notice the thickness/weight and the extra $180 would feel really nice in my pocket :)

justy my 2cents.

10. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

People always say it's SO much heavier then the 2 -_- I think it's in your head. I went from iPad 1 to 3rd gen and wouldn't do anything different. If you have the budget for the new ipad I think it's worth it. Specially if you're keeping it for a couple years. If you switch out fairly quickly i'd recommend the 2. It's still a really good tablet, and one of the best choices on the market and you save $200 :D

Side note: I think 32gb is the perfect size. 16gb too small...64gb is good but i'm sure you can survive a trip with 28gb of media :D

11. noteple macrumors 65816

Pay me now or pay me later.

The 3 will have better resale value and more features.

The price of the iPad 2 will drop to the level of the iPad 1 before year end.

There is a reason the refurb pricing is dropping.

12. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

13. tdream macrumors 65816

If you like to read buy the new iPad. If you like to surf the internet a lot buy the new iPad. If for some reason you want to take pictures or record video buy the new iPad.

If you don't want your kid to become accustomed to the latest and greatest then buy the refurb, ie. gets upgrade-itis and sullies all other displays, etc. etc.

If you want a durable tough iPad, you can throw around without too much worry because of the smaller investment, buy the refurb.

If you can't tell the difference between the displays, definitely buy the refurb :D

14. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

IMO, get the iPad 2. There is very little difference between the new iPad and the iPad 2 - certainly not enough to warrant the huge difference in price. I agree with the poster who suggested getting the iPad 2 (32 GB is going to be plenty of storage) now and waiting for the iPad4 or something down the road that has a significant improvement to offer. There's a big difference between the iPad 1 and 2 - you'll notice it right away.

15. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

As much as the new iPad looks divine as far as the screen is concerned, for my sake, I won't be able to afford a $600+ tablet for a good while with what entering grad school in fall. I have the iPad 1 now that I got for $325 last year and had it switched out on the last warranty week. Of course it's still hindered by iOS 5 and doesn't perform nearly as well as the iPad 2 and 3, but it's making do now. I plan on getting the same iPad 2 you're pondering around August and skipping over the 3. I know $200 doesn't seem like a lot to many folks, but if it's stretching out your budget and leaving you in a bind financially, I would never suggest to anyone to get it even if it's the latest and greatest. iOS 6 is on the horizon for the iPad 2 and I'd bet on iOS 7 after that too. It's a wonderfully capable machine that shouldn't run into any problems for years. Yes, you'll miss out on the iPad 3's retina and quad-core graphics, but I'm willing to bet the next iPad will be better optimized to drive that Retina display and they'll be more HTML5 webpages that are Retina-ready to take advantage of the high-resolution capability from all media and information consumption angles...

16. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The iPad 2 was better than the original iPad in every way, except maybe for those who think the iPad 2 edges are a bit sharp.

This is not the case for the new iPad vs. the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is marginally thinner, slightly lighter, gets longer battery life and charges much faster. That isn't to take anything away from the new iPad, but to some the obvious price difference and those attributes may make the iPad 2 the preferred choice.