Should I Buy a Refurb iPad 2 or a Nexus 7? (Forget those, ended up with an iPad 3)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MaxMike, Jul 7, 2012.

1. MaxMike, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

MaxMike macrumors 6502

I know that it's all Apple people on here (as am I) but I just wanted some opinions. I right now am selling a radio I had for my car for about $250, and was highly set on buying a Nexus 7. However, when I read that a 7-inch screen isn't great for textbooks, that kinda scared me away. I want to get a tablet since I'd rather get my textbooks as PDFs instead of the printed copies. I'd obviously also use it for web browsing, videos, maybe music although I always have my iPhone with me, and apps (never used Android so it would be a jump for me), with the iPad being easy for me since I've used iOS since the first iPod touch. Then I thought about a refurb iPad 2, and I think the extra $150 wouldn't be impossible for me (I'd rather have 32GB rather than the max 16GB of the Nexus 7). The only cons I think of to not buying one is the price, again not the biggest obstacle, and the fact that my dad got a iPad 3, and I'll always want to have his for the Retina display (I do not have the money to get an iPad with Retina display, so that is not an option for me). Of course going Apple I know there are plenty of apps, great build quality, and I've always had great service. Just wanted to hear what people thought, and I do expect almost every answer to be pro iPad 2 rather than to Google :eek:. Thanks for any insight!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are going to be reading a lot of PDFs, then definitely go for a bigger (9-10 inch) tablet. Doesn't matter if it's Android or iOS (as in the rumored iPad mini), a 7 inch screen is too small for PDF.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

I strongly second this. I do A LOT of pdf reading, and the iPad (or similarly sized tablet) is clearly superior for that purpose.

4. cole01, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

cole01 macrumors 6502

Hm, that's quite a difficult decision. I lean slightly towards the iPad if you're using it for textbooks. I think that the screen size is slightly better suited for displaying that type of content. And keep in mind that the display on the iPad 2 is still very pleasing to the eyes and the performance is still very competent.

5. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Nexus 7. Funny there is even an add for the Nexus 7 on this thread. That should tell you something.

6. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

I'll 3rd. :apple:

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That only tells us that Google AdSense algorithm detected the use of the term "Nexus 7" in this thread, and served up a relevant ad.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'll also add an iPad 2. I bought a refurb iPad 2 from Apple and it looks and works like new. I'll also chime in on a 7" tablet because I have a Kindle Fire. They are nice until you want to go on the web. The experience falls apart and keep in mind that the Nexus 7 will have a higher resolution than the Kindle Fire.

If you don't mind zooming in a lot then the Nexus 7 is not a bad choice because it has nice specs.

9. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably have to do some trials with the iPad to see how good it is. I know I'm reusing a PDF file I had from last semester so I'll see how well it displays on my dad's, then if that looks fine I'll go view it on an iPad at the Apple store (I have three that are local to me.). And while im at it see how the screen looks to me after using the Retina display a few time My biggest concern is Apple phasing it out soon since the iPad 1 won't even be getting iOS 6

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

I can guarantee you'll buy an iPad 3 once you view a PDF on it. That's where the iPad 3 shines. :cool:

11. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll say yes, but the number the Bank of America app tells me will say no lol

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

13. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I pretty much have no credit since I'm 19, and my dad already got the Barclays card for me last year when I got my MacBook Pro. I think I'd rather just pay it at once this time anyway

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is good advice. For PDF the larger screen is better.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am not interested in Nexus 7 I am more interested in BB Playbook :apple:

16. ManUMark macrumors member

The N7 and more importantly it's price are very attractive. The choice out of it and a iPad2 should logically be made on your intention of use.
    Imagine you are walking along and find a box in the box is either a N7 or iPad2, which one would make you more pleased to find?

Let us know what you choose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought a 3D kindle the other day, its called a book!

17. riveting macrumors 6502

I'd say Nexus 7 if you have good eyesite, ipad 3 would be the idea choice. But between Nexus 7 and ipad 2, Nexus 7 has higher resolution and higher ppi, so text would be much sharper and clearer, however, ipad 2 has a larger screen, so fonts are larger. It's like compare reading on iphone 4 vs Samsung galaxy S2.

I personally would prefer Nexus 7 especially it is also quite a bit cheaper

18. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple store and I didn't think that the iPad 2 was all that bad. I definitely thought that iBooks does a good job of rendering the pages of a PDF textbook, especially since the screen is about as big as a normal, physical page. Obviously the Retina display makes it so much better, but I wear contacts/glasses so my eyesight is assisted, and it's not like 1024x768 was always a bad resolution; I have a 15-inch monitor at the same res. I didn't have time to see a 7-inch tablet, so tomorrow I'll stop over at Barnes and Noble and view the same file on a Nook Tablet (my Nook Simpletouch is awful at textbooks and I just can't use it). Still wish that the Nexus would be capable of more than 16GB of storage, since that simply wouldn't be enough for me. But I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I like a 7-inch screen and I'm thinking that will ultimately help make my decision. BTW, I'll be so pissed if I end up buying a refurb iPad 2 and all support is cut it iOS 7 :mad: lol

19. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I have great eyesight and was iffy about the iPad 2's resolution, but I got used to it. I am aware that its quality is very different from my iPhone 4s, but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

20. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm thinking too. It's not like I'm going to hold it 6 inches in front of my face like my iPhone 4 either. For this coming semester (2nd year, IT major), I think I'll really only need it for a math textbook (have a PDF since I dropped the class last semester), and maybe to take notes for my history and humanities classes. I'll have to bring my MacBook Pro sometimes since I'll have a CS class (I HATE Java programming, failed the AP Comp Sci exam, then had to take it this past spring), and an IT design class, which deals with designing in flash, from what a friend told me. Not like I'll be reading fully published literature on it (at least not from the start). Then just some web browsing, and video watching (which is why I would rather have 32GB of storage instead of just 16)

21. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I fetch my videos with streamtome on my iPad, so I didn't think I would need very much space on it, but I was glad I bought the 32 gig model just in case. It's better to go over than suffer with going under.

Another point to consider when comparing the iPad to the Nexus is that larger screen is easier to type on in landscape mode. It keeps up with my typing just fine, and it's much easier to type quickly on that I expected. I don't see that happening on the nexus, where the screen size is convenient, but also limiting.

22. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm kinda thinking that too now. Like for when I have classes when I don't need my MacBook Pro, the iPad can fully, and I think easily, act as a device to get me through my day. Meanwhile, the Nexus may only be something to accompany my laptop. And many sites mention how Android has a huge lack of tablet apps, whereas iOS has so many made for iPad that I'll never be left using a phone app on a tablet. Hmmmm, seems like even for the extra cost I'm leaning towards an iPad 2 now :apple:

23. Judas1 macrumors 6502a

Android does have a lot of apps that will meet your needs, in case thats what you're worried about. Its just that the majority of it are not optimized for tablets so they may not look as good or function as well. But there isn't a lack of software that should make you worry. I vote to at least check out the nexus to see if you like reading on it, and see if 7" too small or not for you. It has a bigger resolution than the ipad2 so at least try it out.

24. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I agree. All you can do here is come up with a few questions to ask yourself while you are holding each device in your hand. You won't be able to know for sure until you actually use it in person.

That said, iWork on the iPad is actually pretty good. It's no office replacement, but great for quick things in class.

25. MaxMike, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it turns out that an iPad 3 may happen. My mom (I'm 19, and have a separate bank account for money I make working) said I can use my savings at a different bank than I use to make up the difference. Then I can also get the $50 iTunes/ Mac App Store gift card if I get one. Then I'll just have to hope that the iPad 4 won't be so much better that I'll be wishing I get that :rolleyes:. Still going to look at a 7-inch tablet today, but I really like how my dad's iPad 3 renders my books. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

EDIT: Took a look at a Nook Tablet and I really dont want a 7-inch screen now. Pulled up one of my PDF textbooks and I couldn't even read it on the normal zoom level. Seems like an iPad 3 will now be in my foreseeable future (unless I end up getting a 2 just to sell it when the next gen comes out). But it seems like the 3 should be future proof enough for my needs, it's not like web browsing or watching videos is going to demand a quad core processor