Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I think teh 5K display is beautiful. Asking this question mainly because I'm concerned about long-term durability of a non-apple monitor. Especially since the ones I'm looking at are manufactured in 2017.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The LG 5K monitor that Apple sold at one time was built and designed specifically for Apple. However, I would question buying anything from someone selling on Craigslist. Buying from Amazon is safer and you would be able to return the monitor for a refund.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My only experience with LG displays (in my case, a tv that failed in less than 2 years and for which replacement parts could not be obtained) was not good.

I don't recommend ANY of their products....

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
My only experience with LG displays (in my case, a tv that failed in less than 2 years and for which replacement parts could not be obtained) was not good.

I don't recommend ANY of their products....

Isn’t it an LG panel in the current iMac 27 inch 5K? Part LM270QQ1-SDC1... custom part for Apple I guess, don’t know if it is any different to the panel LG sells.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Isn’t it an LG panel in the current iMac 27 inch 5K? Part LM270QQ1-SDC1... custom part for Apple I guess, don’t know if it is any different to the panel LG sells.

Yes. Apple is using the same LG panel in their 27" iMac 5K machines. The OP was asking about the long term durability of the LG 5K monitor. If it's the same one that was designed for and sold by Apple, it should be okay.

Reactions: wardie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.