Should I buy a white unibody MacBook now or wait for next revision?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by StuartCH, Apr 9, 2010.

  1. StuartCH macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Sunderland, UK
    #1
    This has be tormenting my mind for the past couple of days, Is it worth getting a MacBook now, or should I wait for the next revision? I'm just thinking Apple might have further CPU improvements and some sexy black high end model up their sleeve, if there isn't going to be any updates for a while I guess I'd have to buy one now but I just want someone else's input to this. :)
     
  2. Rolvag macrumors regular

    Rolvag

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2010
    #2
    New MB's are due VERY soon, I would wait if you could.
     
  3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

    iphone1105

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    #3
    Really? Airs and Pro's I thought, would be weird considering Oct 09 the new ones just launched....

    OP I have the late 09 (latest) Macbook, ,its a beast. I have a 500gb HD and 4GB of Ram. I love it. Do what you must but its a nice notebook to own.:D
     
  4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #4
    I doubt if the MB gets an update. I dont think you can go wrong either way really, buying now or waiting. Anything with an apple on it these days is a nice machine that will serve you well. Just upgrade the RAM and you should be good to go.
     
  5. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Sunderland, UK
    #5
    a black one would be amazing, but I live in the UK and I can't get colorware.
     
  6. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Sunderland, UK
    #6
    And didn't the new MacBook come out in summer? That still is a long time ago.
     
  7. Here be Chaos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    #7
    No, the last revision was in October.

    To OP:
    Depends on your needs, as posted in a other topic. I got the late 2009 uMacBook 2 days ago as it fits my needs. So it's all up to you. And as iphone1105 says, it's a great machine.
     
  8. MattMK45 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #8
    I was thinking exactly the same thing a while ago, selling my ageing powerbook and either buying a refurb macbook unibody (which are very cheap!) or waiting for the new revision. The new revision may be this april and featuring the new i3, 15 and i7 chips. I think for a base model as the apple product ladder goes, we will definately not be expecting an i7 in the new macbooks and maybe not an i5, we can however be moderately certain that at least the base macbook will have an i3 processor for it has had core 2 duos for ages and I think apple will be really shooting themselves in the foot if they keep the C2D chip.

    So what I'm going to do, and maybe you should, is wait until the revision and see if it worth purchasing the i3 model or just buying a cheaper refurb.
     
  9. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

    macgeek18

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    Location:
    Northern California
    #9


    Oh man,I hope so,a MB unibody black with a Intel core i3 would be amazingly awesome.But if I was you,just get a base line MBP,so much than a MB and not to mention I would give my MB up in a heartbeat for one.Or if you want a MB,get the MacBook,there still great amazing systems.
     
  10. halisray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Location:
    MTL
    #10
    the basic MBP is nothing special.. 160gb HD and like $400 more..


    i love my unibody
     
  11. Rolvag macrumors regular

    Rolvag

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2010
    #11
    Although the MB did not get the update the MBP is only $200 more. :p
     
  12. itsbrad macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2010
    #12
    I too am going to sell my Titanium PB G4 and get a unibody MB from microcenter for 799. I am all excited about getting it and moving away from this PowerPC processor so I can run the newer programs :) (Aperture 3, etc.)
     
  13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

    iphone1105

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    #13
    $400 more if you get the 799 deal at MicroCenter
     
  14. excommie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    #14
    I'm hoping they get the updated nvidia 320m GPU soon and that Microcenter keeps selling them for 799
     
  15. o'malley macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    #15
    i'm definitely with you, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
     
  16. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #16
    this could happen, although any differences really wouldn't justify waiting forever for it.

    Usual advice: if you need, buy. if you don't, wait.
     
  17. excommie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    #17
    I'd imagine 9400m is on the way out, so the updated GPU in the MB is the next logical step. I might buy this thing for 799, if it has the 320m, 4GB of RAM (similar specs to MBP), even if it only comes with C2D CPU.

    I'll be selling my early 2009 MB soon for a reasonable price (not because it's not powerful enough for me, but because the screens on the new ones are so much better).

    I need to get my post count up there so I can list this thing on here. The requirements to post anything in the black-market are unreasonably high (they favor posting BS posts IMO).
     

Share This Page