should I buy an Apple TV 3 just for AirPlay?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ColdShadow, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I was thinking about getting an Apple TV 3,but my main goal is to stream videos either from online websites or off hard drive from my Mac through it.
    my question is,is it worth buying just for this purpose?
    How is the Airplay performace? Is it lag free? Cause I came across many complaints regarding lag.

Also I might want to use it for Netflix but some say it has the worst Netflix App and interface comparred to PS4/PS3/Roku etc?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Mostly I use it for airplay. No noticeable lag on showing video from my iPhone/iPad. For the very low price it's with it IMO.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I rarely use any of the channels on Apple TV. I use it almost exclusively for AirPlay. It works extremely well, with no noticeable lag.

4. ozaz macrumors 65816

I originally bought it as a standalone streaming device and for AirPlay.

Now I have other standalone streaming devices with far better app/channel selection and keep the Apple TV just for AirPlay. I'm happy with the performance of AirPlay and don't notice lag. But I rarely use it for anything more demanding than home photos and videos.

As for interface for Netflix. It is different from other platforms for some reason. But I actually prefer it on Apple TV because you can access an alphabetical list of genres on Apple TV but not other TV platforms.

5. xbpr macrumors member

I just did that exact thing last week after the price drop. So far it has served me well. I was previously connecting a MacBook to the tv via a thunderbolt > hdmi cable. This is so much more convenient.

6. thepixelpusher, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Yes!!!! I use Airplay to mirror my games on my big screen TV from my iPhone and iPad and use the Mad Catz C.T.R.L. i controller to play the games. It works with many games and looks amazing on screen. Get the bigger Mad Catz iOS controller, not the Micro.

I also stream TV shows from StreamTV to my big screen from my iPhone and iPad via Airplay and I can also use the Apple remote to control the pause and rewind/forward features in streaming Airplay mode from the device!!! How cool is that!? Pause to run to the bathroom or get snacks and play when I get back. And the show don't look low rez either!!!!!

I also show my wife web pages on the big screen TV via Airplay from my iPad to discuss things with her. AppleTV is freakin' awesome!!

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Atv and either moviebox or popcorn time AirPlay for the win

8. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Certainly! I even bought a second ATV that I carry in my laptop bag for use on the road. It's great for conference rooms and hotel rooms.

9. Reidan macrumors member

I keep one in my laptop bag for traveling. Just as mgipe said. Good for hotels and such. Not all of them have good in room entertainment.

We own a cabin up in the mountains. We do not have cable or satellite for the cabin. It is available, just do not want to pay for it when we only go up there maybe 1 weekend a month and a few week long vacations.

But, we do have high speed Internet as I am on call 24 x 7 for work and I get work to pay for it. So I bought an extra ATV3 for the cabin and can stream TV for those rare times we want to watch something.

An old Plasma Non-Smart TV we already owned and a $99 (at the time) ATV = cheap entertainment. If someone were to break into the cabin and steal either one, not a big financial loss. But thankfully, our cabin has never been messed with.

10. amporas macrumors newbie

amporas

To you guys that have it, would you say its worth it? The Airplay seems really cool. I'd love to try it out but I'm nervous that it's not worth it just for that.

11. starkreality70 macrumors newbie

Question about the above statement: Don't you have trouble with Apple TV logging on to hotel wifi? ON a computer, most hotel wifi systems give you a password, or you have to click on the length you want internet, and put in your room number, etc.

How does this work with an Apple TV?

12. GGJstudios, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can either enter the password in the Apple TV using the remote, or connect with an iPhone or iPad using the Remote app to enter it.

13. starkreality70 macrumors newbie

But...

…on a computer, you usually need to launch a browser window to get to the sign in page for wifi.

How do you do that on an apple tv, when there is no browser to launch?

Just curious...

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

On further thought, I was having a "senior moment"! It was my iPad I used, not my Mac. My post has been updated.

What to do if you lose your Apple TV remote

15. ozaz macrumors 65816

i don't think this answers starkrealitys question.
    Amazon fire TV has just solved the hotel wifi problem

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-stick-stakes-out-uk-adds-hotel-friendly-wi-fi-sign-in/

I am under the impression this problem exists with Apple TV

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-hotel-wi-fi-killed-my-chromecast-travel-dreams/

----------

It's worth it for me, but that's because I'm prepared to pay for other streaming devices as well.

I wouldn't want the Apple TV as my only streaming device because, aside from AirPlay, I think it's very limited compared to the others.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

17. ozaz macrumors 65816

It wouldn't.

As I understand it, the hotel wifi problem is common to all TV streaming devices (apple TV, Fire TV Chromecast, whatever)

Amazon have issued an update that will enable Fire TV devices to login to hotel wifi networks that require web based sign in.

Apple TV, Roku, and Chromecast all still have the problem, as far as i know.

18. tibas92013, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

If the Apple TV is updated this June will you be able to buy the present ATV or will they disappear like the Mac Mini Late 2012?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They could discontinue the current ATV, in which case, you may still be able to get one from the refurb store.

20. Reidan macrumors member

I carry a AirPort with me. I use that to bridge into hotel and conference room networks. Sometimes plug an ethernet cable into the AirPort.

21. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Yes, they do and it's very frustrating. Hopefully hotels will at least allow you to mirror your screen to your TV so you can stream from there.

22. hauntvictim macrumors regular

hauntvictim

What I have done when I traveled is call the Internet tech service, was usually AT&T. They have a number generally for issues, and they are able to set you up. Bad ting is had to do it once a day. But for "free" entertainment it was worth it.

23. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Obviously, it depends on how much you will use it for Airplay. However, for my needs, it was worth it.

24. m4v3r1ck, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

should I buy an Apple TV 3 just for AirPlay?

Very happy ATV3 user for a few years now. Mainly using the Netflix app and using my iPhone with the "remote"app for easy control and the keyboard for searches, Airplay for streaming from browsers etc. Had it hooked up with UTP and switch, but moved it and now using wifi. Very happy with the performance and no lags at all!

Cheers

25. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

Considering the iPhone has become the defacto-replacement for the video camcorder, I'd say Apple TV is definitely worth it for Airplay alone!

iPhone 6 1080p video looks *great* on the big screen!

:D