Should i buy an apple tv run full os x on it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robPOD, Apr 24, 2007.

1. robPOD macrumors 6502

Hi there my brother is a bit cash strapped at the moment and needs a new computer. He was thinking of getting a apple tv and installing full os x on it. Just wondering wether it would be able to handle things like word, itunes, safari and quicktime and the basic things in photoshop cs2 (cropping...). Also would he be able to buy a usb hub for it and run things like a external usb hard drive and an external dvd/cd drive? He dosent have enough money for a mac mini and dosent want to go PC. also would like to hear about any one who has done this and their experiences. Thanks alot for helping.:)

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i reckon save up for a second-hand mac mini. it'll fulfill you needs better than an :apple:tv.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Did you know that you can crop in Preview? Select the section you want and then press CMD+K :)

4. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

What does the :apple: tv use as graphics hardware? That could end this quick…

You want to run ps cs2, non-nativley under rosetta?

5. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

updated for the new times… :D

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you have to ask on MacRumors whether you should do it, then the answer is no.

7. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

ok dont worry about cs2 should it run everything else ok?

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No it probably won't. It's not designed to be a computer. It's designed to be a streaming box. You can probably find a used mac mini or something for around $400. Or he can just wait a little while and save up some money, and then buy a Macbook or something.

9. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I'm in agreement, Buy a used Mac Mini

Only buy an apple TV if your going to use it as an apple TV. Trying to use it as a Full blown OS X computer will just make you frustrated and disappointed.

10. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

You might want to look into a second hand system on eBay if you are in a small budget. If he has never had much experience with a Mac he might be surprised he's using an older box. Most people thought my iBook G3 was brand new (heh)...

You probably won't have any problem doing those tasks on an Powermac G4 for 200-400, with better specs probably. Not sure how the Intel stacks up against the G4, but it should have better RAM, HD, have built in combo/super/cd and be less of a pain.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errr... u do realize that appletv thing only has 256MB ram, right? and no optical drive?

basically, it can NOT do anything that need a bit more ram or cpu power, such as word, or photoshop.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Strapped for cash doesn't mean "blow my money." This would be a bad purchase. 256MB of ram? Ha. That is barely enough for OS X.

Heck, you can get a Core solo mini for $400 and upgrade it over time. Maybe even less than $400 if you shop around on eBay, craiglist, etc and wait a bit.

13. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks for the replys can any one who has done this share their experiences

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

done what? bought the Apple TV and put OS X on it?

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

..no one has actually done it... although its been proved possible...

16. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks i told him it was a stupid idea he probably wont be getting a :apple: tv

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

Tell him to buy and older G4 Power Mac. If he has $299 to spend on the ATV then he can afford a really nice Power Mac. For a bit more he can get a used Mini

There is no way to install enough RAM into the ATV to make it really usfull.

18. jnash macrumors regular

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

20. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I bought my mom a used mac mini for xmas.. it was a 1.42ghz G4 and runs all the things you listed just fine. I only paid $300 shipped, too - and that included a retail version of iLife 06 which I sold for another $40 to offset the cost a bit.

I'd suggest your friend look into this type of option instead. It'll be a MUCH better buy and even the G4s will handle his tasks way better than the :apple:tv

21. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

ok he just went to the dark side and splashed out on a vista desktop :( thanks for the help though

22. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

seriously, this is a horrible idea. if ur brother wants a computer, then tell him to buy a computer. ever heard of ebay? or check the refurb section. hell, id rather use a PC then take a risk with the :apple: tv

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Before you buy any newish system on eBay, compare prices with Apple store refurbished prices. You may get the system cheaper there, and it has full warranty, and you know if there are any problems they will be fixed.

24. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the advice. As I mentioned befor he has just brought an HP desktop.