Should I buy an iMac core 2 duo 2.4Ghz (early 2008)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bg72, Apr 4, 2011.

1. bg72 macrumors newbie

I am thinking about buying a used 20" imac 2.4Ghz core 2 duo (early 2008) from a man on craigslist. He is asking $800, but is offering it with some valuable software preinstalled (cs5, office 10), so it caught my eye. Aside from all of the things to be aware of about purchasing anything on craigslist, I want to know if this particular model is known to have any failures or any issues I should be aware of. I know certain models of imacs should be avoided and want to be sure this is not one of them. I've seen a bunch of chatter about graphics card issues as well as overheating problems, but was unclear exactly which models were most prone.

Thanks a lot for any input.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Don't let software cloud your judgement. Ask for proof that these copies are legit and that he is transferring the licenses to you. If the seller cannot provide these, then you're getting pirated software. Either tell him to remove the software and lower the price or provide verified proof of legit software.

3. bg72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input Alaerian.

If the software was actually purchased by this person (legit software) and I buy this computer from him with the software on it, is that legal for me a the user? Would I be able to get updates for the software?

If the software is bootleg or if he cannot prove legitimacy, am I putting myself at any risk using it being that I am not the one who put it on the computer? Another words, claiming ignorance.

Still interested from others if this is a good model iMac to buy.

Thanks all.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It doesn't matter if you installed it or not. If the software is illegal, it's still illegal.

If it is legit, there should be no issues as long as the seller gives up any claims and ceases to use it. He'll need to transfer any keys and/or physical media to you. This shouldn't interfere at all with upgrades or updates.

Just be wary - I'm willing to bet a good chunk of change that this software is not legit. It's very unlikely that the seller is simply giving away very expensive software, unless he has recently upgraded to new versions. That is always a possibility, however unlikely.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

The software may not be pirated, he may have installed it with real discs -- but once its in your hands it will be. You will not be eligible to upgrade it, you will not be able to call Adobe for help and without physical discs and a serial number you will not be able to reinstall the software should it go bad.

Even the cheapest CS5 collection is $1300 new, so clearly paying $800 for $1300 of software and a 20" iMac = non legit software.

And no, $800 for a 2008 20" iMac is *not* a good deal. 20" AL iMacs have crappy screens and so-so video at best.

Another $200 could get you a brand new 21.5" i3 iMac, which is better, faster, stronger than 2 of those 20" iMacs combined.

if you really dont care where that software came from, then just pirate it yourself. at least then you dont have to be stuck with a crappy 20" iMac.

6. excommie macrumors regular

The 20 inch iMacs are going for 749 on apple refurb store. It's difficult to catch them in stock. As far as the software goes - it's illegal, you'd get the same effect if you downloaded it yourself from one of the torrent websites.

Also, you can find all these Macs being sold on ebay with lot's of pre-installed software. I'm surprised ebay allows this.

7. ibis99 macrumors regular

$300 more and you have yourself a brand new i3. Why bother.

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I have the current base i3 model and use illustrator on it, it runs brilliantly but if I try to do any 3D rendering it can grind to a halt and I think it's the minimum spec you would want - I just don't think it would be a enjoyable experience running CS5 on the 20" model. As mentioned above, it's expensive software so I find it hard to believe the seller wouldn't be transferring to their new system - CS5 is not exactly something you would buy just to try it.

Also the new iMacs are due imminently, and you'll likely be able to get the current i3 for a good price, new or refurbished.