Should I buy an iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjs2010uk, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bjs2010uk macrumors newbie

Hi I am looking at getting a new phone for my mum who currently has a terrible Samsung Wave phone (not android OS). I was hoping to buy an iPhone because I have one myself and I think she would find it easy to use. However I don't have a massive budget, therefore I have only really been left with the option of buying a second hand 3GS. She primarily uses the phone to call and text but also likes the idea of having a few apps (probably basic apps like weather, news and lottery) and very infrequent Internet browsing.

I would like to get the 3GS as it would clearly be more than enough for her needs but I am worried that apps may not be compatible in the near future i.e. the next year or two. Also I haven't used a 3GS for at least the last 2/3 years, does it respond well still or has the performance of the 3GS reduced significantly over time due to ios upgrades?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For basic things a 3Gs running iOS 6 works, but it isn't as quick as a 4S or 5. For her, it'll likely be a big upgrade.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I strongly suggest to find a second hand 4 or 4s ....

4. JCCL macrumors 6502a

At this point I would find a 4S for her, much better phone.

5. bjs2010uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the posts so far, I would love to get her the 5S but unfortunately it boils down to budget. Any more comments gladly received!

6. dtsoll macrumors newbie

I agree with a 4 or 4s. Obviously she's not due for an upgrade or the 4s is a very inexpensive way to go.

7. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

If you do get a 3GS make sure it's a newer device as device from 2009 would have a shot battery. But as said i'd be thinking of maybe a 4 or 4S.

8. g35, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

g35 macrumors 6502a

Get her a 4. I got one for my mom 3-4 months ago for $120 CAD off my local Craigslist (8GB, black, locked, good condition).

For reference, that's about 16% of its new MSRP here (roughly equivalent to paying £92?)

The prices should be even lower now that the 5S is out

The 4 has better design, way better screen, more future proof and less exploding/fire problems

9. supersedan macrumors newbie

Maybe u look iphone 4, because 3Gs only have 256ram like ipod touch 4th.
    Problem ios 6 in ipod to low ram, u need always kill running apps or always reboot ur phone for better performance, if not device verry2 laggy.

IMHO

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

An iPhone 4 and upwards just because of the front camera. My mom has my 3GS and likes it and is more than enough for her w/ her email, pics, web, etc and before that she didn't even own a smartphone. She likes calling me and she uses Skype and there is no front camera on the 3GS, also no FaceTime.

Apps that are for a basic user will be able to keep using and now that legacy apps are being kept on apple, she can keep enjoying her apps even after a full restore.

11. Numerouno macrumors newbie

As strange as it sounds I have this problem! However I put the SIM card tray in my iPhone the wrong way and it snapped where would I be able to fix this? My 3GS is old now but my mum has a sony Xperia crap or whatever they call them (it's not good AT ALL) :) thanks