Should I buy an iPhone 4...I want your opinion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ifriteffect, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ifriteffect macrumors newbie

Ok so here is my dilemma. I currently have a Droid Incredible. I don't have any problems with Android, I actually like the OS, and like my phone. But after doing some research, and looking at iPhone apps, there are some things I really like about the iPhone. First of all is the retina display. Man that thing is pretty. Second, iOS is so smooth. Even on my Incredible with the 1Ghz Snapdragon, it lags at times. I love the fluidity of iOS. Third, iTunes. I already use iTunes as my music library for my PC and have been for years. Would love to be able to hook my phone right up to it and sync everything in one swift motion (would love it more to do it wirelessly, but that's a whole different conversation). So those are some of the main reasons I want the iPhone.

Now on to my dilemma. My upgrade date is on March 20th. Obviously there is speculation and probability of the iPhone 5. But I have built myself up so much around getting an iPhone, I don't know if I can wait. The one huge thing that I would want in an iPhone is a bigger display though, so I really don't know what to do.

So here is what I am thinking. If I get a 16GB iPhone 4 from Best Buy for $199 on March 20, I can get their new Buy Back program. Basically, in 1-6 months, they will buy back my phone from me for 50% of the RETAIL value of the phone, which equals out to $350. Should I get the 4, get buy back, and just pay the difference of $300-400 when the iPhone 5 comes out? Or grit my teeth and try to bear it? Thoughts?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If it were me, I would wait. The release date for iPhone 5 should be a mere 3 months after you qualify for upgrade. $350 is a lot of money.

I know it sounds like I long time, but it will fly by. :)

Of course, the other option is to buy an iPhone 4 and use it happily for 2 years. You won't need to upgrade in June; I'm still content with my 3GS.

3. nicastro78 macrumors newbie

That is the fundamental problem with technology. You can either get what is available today, or constantly wait for the next great thing. The iPhone 4 is a great phone and if you wait, there may not be enough changes to make the next one any better. I say buy it now and if something does come out that is better, sell it on eBay or craigslist. Best Buy buy back program is a sham.

4. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

You took the words out of my mouth.

If you are thinking about the next BIG update to iPhone you are probably looking at June 2013, with in between transitional updates.

If you want the iPhone now, just get it.

It works. It's simple. The display's beauty never gets old and iOS has the best App Store.

The biggest jumps will be in the software updates.

I am looking forward to iOS 5 much more than the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called).

The next iPhone may include a bit bigger screen and that NFC Chip. Anyway, the next iPhone won't bring any updates that I really want.

iPhone 4 will be good for another 2 years before you need to change it.

Also, what you don't get with Android is

UPDATES!

You know that only 0.8% of Android phones are running the latest software.

iOS is the way to go. It's not perfect, but I think it's the best.

5. ifriteffect thread starter macrumors newbie

you are probably right...difference is, I actually want a bigger screen, and would love LTE if they include it in this summers model =\

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

IMO you should wait then. You never know maybe Apple will put a bigger screen on the iPhone 5 maybe the Verizon iPhone 5 will come with LTE. Who knows, like you said your Droid Incredible it's not giving you any problems IMO why get an iPhone that's almost a year old that you won't get the full three years of updates like you would if you wait until the iPhone 5.

You could always buy the iPhone 4 in March and sell it on craigslist on eBay when the iPhone 5 comes out to get most of your money back. No need to use Best Buy you'll get more selling the phone yourself then from them.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Ask your self what phone best suits your needs and you will get your answer, also I would wait for the iPhone 5 if I was in the market for a new iPhone.

8. icanhas macrumors newbie

Do you have any source for that?

9. Gomez315 macrumors member

I was in the same dilemma as you two days ago. I was thinking of just waiting for the iPhone 5, but I went onto the AT&T website, and saw the refurbished iPhone 4s for $80 bucks. I figure I could sell it for $3-400 when the 5 comes out and just pay the extra money.

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Why not wait for Gingerbread. It is much improved over Froyo. Or if you are good with computers install a custom Darkys Rom. That thing will fly :D

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not hard to believe when only the nexus s and nexus one (just recently) have gingerbread.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just wait for it. The 5 will be out in less than 4 months. Patience is a virtue. If by then you decide you don't like the 5, you will be able to get the 4 for cheap. It'll make owning an iPhone that much sweeter.

13. ajarnfalang, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Actually, I was being kind.

Only 0.4% of Android devices run the current OS 2.3 Gingerbread.

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/53622-04-of-android-owners-have-gingerbread-23

[​IMG]

These numbers are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Basically, you hack and crack the phone, wait for your Manufacturer to give you the update, or you just buy the new phone.

When Honeycomb 3.0 comes out, then the manufacturers will release all their new devices with 2.3 Gingerbread.

And so it goes.

iOS 4.3 is coming out this or next week. I will update the second it comes out. So will everyone with an iOS device that supports it.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

HTC have said they are rolling out Gingerbread to their phones soon. Not sure if yours is one of the ones included as you guys have different names for the handsets over there :p

Galaxy S owners are to get it in march. The reason so few have it already is that each manufacturer has to make sure it runs well on their individual device. Kind of like Apple should have done with the 3G and iOS 4. You can already use a custom gingerbread ROM if you wish.

15. ajarnfalang, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

You did NOT just compare the amount of updates we get in the iPhone compared to the updates in Android.

I've had my phone since October 2010. I've already updated it once, so this would be my second update in 4 months. and just before I bought it there were 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.1 in a couple of months.

Android owners update their devices once a year if they are lucky.

and sure. The custom ROM. Hack it and crack it.

You know what we do to update the iPhone?

Plug it in, and click "Update".

and HTC releasing Gingerbread for "their devices" is a bunch of crap.

HTC is releasing it for the Desire line of phones. If you don't have an HTC desire you are still screwed.

Most people with Android phones will have to either hack it and crack it or go buy a new one with Gingerbread.

Let's be honest here.

and the only Phandroid argument is about the iPhone 3G. That phone is so old is ridiculous. A 400MHZ phone that's not even supported anymore.

and because we get updates so quickly, the affected 3G owners got an update that fixed their issue.

All those Galaxy S owners that bought it and had horrible Lag issues were SOL from Samsung. They had to go get some fix some guy posted on the internet.

Basically, once you get an Android phone, you're on your own.

16. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

This question has been asked so many times and so many ways and the answers are always the same. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you, because no matter how many times it gets asked it's always a valid question. I can only offer a summary of the best answers.

1. Buy it for whatever reason, even if it's just because you want it and nothing more.
    2. General census is if you're going to wait, it's worth it if you don't have to wait more than three months. So you need a reasonable expectation that the new version will be out within that time frame. Some say up to 6 months, but of course the time you're willing and able to wait is up to you. If you can stand the wait, you'll be glad you did. But, if the wait is too long, it won't feel worth it even if you end up paying less overall.
    3. Decide the monetary weight of your perception of overall value to you. Of funds are tight, this will carry more weight, and vice versa. But, know the real cost of ownership over the term.

Keep in mind that buy back program will cost you more than you figured. You really only netting $150 in the buy back. And the additional cost to buy the iPhone 5 at retail may be more than what you're estimating, especially if you go for the larger capacity - which you should for various reasons, one being resale value. You'll also need to figure in the talk, data and text plans that you want. As mentioned also, there are other ways to sell the phone and get more. Check out those options and see what you're willing to deal with hassle-wise. It may be too early to tell, but it's likely that Verizon phones will have a lower resale value and be harder to sell.

One more reason to buy now: You may not want or need to upgrade right away. I've had every phone since the original and in every case, I've been able to upgrade for nothing except the new contract. I've sold every phone what I paid for it or more. I haven't been following the rumors very close, but from what I've heard there's nothing that would really compel me to upgrade this year. The 4 was such a vast improvement over even the 3GS, I just don't see another jump that big after only a year. Besides, we don't know what ATT will do yet for early upgrades for everyone who got the 4 last year in June. I also thing the 4 will be able to handle at least a couple more OS updates without taking a performance hit.

One more reason to wait: you can get the best deal overall and start your own cycle of being able to sell the old and buy the new providing your carrier offers early upgrades.

Epilogue: I don't think there will be an iPhone 5 this year. This prediction has no foundation in fact or rumor. What I think will happen will be a slightly updated iPhone 4 and updated OS. Look at the history:

1. Original iPhone --. iPhone 3G: 1 year. Reason: 3G network
    2. 3G --> 3GS: 1 year. Reason: Hardware upgrade to handle previous OS updates and a few hardware dependent features such as more MP camera and video. Decent improvement, but still unable to take advantage of all OS4 features overall not powerful enough to run the OS well.
    3. 3GS --> iPhone 4: 1 year. Reason: To provide the new total package to leap-frog ahead of the competition again. MAJOR hardware improvements - a real camera finally, the display, front facing camera and more. Plus all the new features of iOS 4 that all work without lag or performance hits.

4 years to re-create the "magic", if you will, of the original iPhone for its time. I just don't see that happening again in only a year, not even 50% of it. Instead, I'm predicting another version of the 4> They may still call it the 5, but that would not be accurate.

17. jp70 macrumors member

My .02

I'd buy the iPhone 4, that way there will be one less person in line when I upgrade to the 5...j/k.

I've upgrade with each model and have been fortunate too sell the previous model for enough or more to cover the upgrade cost. When I upgraded from the origninal to the 3G, my wife took it and now it's a remote for my Apple TV. I've jailbroke and unlocked each one before I sold them and have kept them in cases to protect the shells.

I love the 4, more than I thought I would over the 3Gs. There aren't any glarring issues that need to be upgraded from the 4 in my opinion. If the next upgrade is simular to the 3G to 3Gs I may just stay put (although my wife is ready to upgrade from the 3Gs and I don't think I could stand for her to have the 5 and me on the 4...lol). I'd love to see a 4" screen with out grossly adding size to the phone...cut down on the border like the rummors point to. If that happens, it may be enough for me to upgrade.

One pro to holding off is If the next phone is only a upgrade like the 3G to 3Gs, you probably could pick up a 4 for even cheaper than you can now.

18. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

The next iPhone will be a minor update like the other ones. I don't think it will be anything to write home about. iPhone 4s more likely.

19. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I didn't compare the update cycle no i said that it takes a while for updates to come out because there are lots of different handsets. I now wouldn't own a ip4 without jail-breaking anyway so i would still have to wait to make sure the new software update worked fine on my device.

The beauty of custom ROMS is that they are updated so fast. Darkys ROM for instance is one of the fastest pieces of phone software i have ever seen. Many are stream lined to make the phone more efficient and if an official release of new software isn't coming out for your phone you can always rely on the custom rom community to help you port it.

20. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The beauty of custom ROMs is that your regular phone user doesn't even know what that means.

He beauty of the iPhone is that anybody can plug it into their computer. This thing called iTunes pops up and there's a button that says "update". You click it.

The end.

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

To be fair you can pick up any phone and just use it. Regular phone users have lots of choice of regular phones to use. No need to buy the most expensive one on the market to get the job done :)

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am in the opposite position you OP.

I am loking at Win7 and droid platforms.
    The iphones have served me well but the OS, IMO, needs to be jailbroken to suit my needs.
    The OS, well I am putting on themes to make it look like and android or win 7 phone, odd I guess. I wonder how many are making other platforms look like the ios. the ios to me is very boring, almost 1 dimensional. jailbroken its a whole different phone. SBSettings makes a world of a difference to me.

I would recommend sticking it out until the ip5 is available unless of course you absolutely have to have an iphone as soon as your contract is expired.

23. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually, to be more precise, HTC will release 2.3 gingerbread for only 4 of their devices by the end of JUNE.

So if you happen to have one of these 4 HTC phones, then you hit the lottery, you'll be able to update to 2.3 just when 2.4 and 3.0 are out.

Maybe of you manage to hang on to the phone to mid 2012 you MAY see an update IF HTC decides they want to update them.

The beauty of Android powered devices.

24. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

The Jailbreak for 4.3 is out already I think

I've never had a need to jailbreak my iPhone. What for?

WP7 is crap. You can't properly multitask and the copy and paste is really weird. You copy and then the next time the paste icon comes up on your keyboard so you have to hit that icon to paste. Then it disappears. How can you paste again?

You're supposed to figure out by yourself that you need to swipe right or some nonsense to get the paste icon back.

If you want to be frustrated, by all means, get WP7

Android is ugly and way too fragmented.

I would jailbreak an iPhone any day rather than the other 2 choices.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

sounds like the first and second generation iphones. We waited how many years for Cut and paste? Cough cough not to mention MMS.

As with the iOS, android and win7 will also mature.

Jailbreak?
    SBSettings
    Rotation programs
    Dock programs
    irealsms
    Winterboard
    MYWi
    My3G
    status bar tools
    Activator
    asktocall
    call lock
    fastsnap
    fullscreen safari
    pull to refresh
    Just to name a few. Installouos is not allowed on any of the 3 iphones, we can surely spare $100 for apps. I did try it out on my phone and ran into many issues. since I restore/rejailbroke and running paid for apps I haven't had any issues

I have grown to use these programs regularly without them, for me its like putting an AM radio in place of my pioneer Z120BT.

Ugly, its a phone to me, first functionality, how much of a toy it is, and then looks.