Should I buy an iPhone 4S now, or wait for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisTX, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

So I just realized one of the lines on my account is now eligible for a full upgrade. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade but with a redesigned iPhone certain in 2012 and being an iPhone 4 owner, I'm on the fence. I'm not the type of person who always waits for whats next, but with the 4S being mid life cycle should I buy it now and use/lose my upgrade, or hold out for the redesign in October, and use my upgrade then? I'm really leaning towards using my upgrade because the sleep wake button on my iPhone 4 is broken and it's aggravating and almost impossible to press. But at the same time I hate to sign a 2 year contract now, and be stuck when the iPhone 5 is released Sorry to make such a typical post like this, but was hoping to get some insight from someone else that might be in my same position. Decisions, decisions... :confused:

2. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

3. lordofthereef, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is nothing certain about it, but I would say it's a safe bet. Wait if you want, or don't if you do. There is no official info, and not even really leaked info out on the next iPhone. until then it's vaporware. Anyone telling you to wait or not is giving you 100% opinion.

That said, get it now. You are here today. You may not be tomorrow. Enjoy life while life is there to enjoy. :)

4. manjazz123 macrumors newbie

I'm not a big fan of waiting when it comes to electronics.

Buy now, and be happy now. I got my iphone 4s this week actually and I'm more than happy to have it.

5. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I know nothing about it is certain, but Apple never releases the same phone design twice.

Yeah, I have gift cards to best buy that essentially cover the cost. On that note maybe I'll upgrade now. :D

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We know this based on two redesigns. There isn't a lengthy track record to go on. Before this last release, nobody would have believed that and iPhone would be released as late as October (it never had been previously). Things can change, nothing is certain.

7. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I would wait for the new iPhone 5 to be released. Most likely it willhave LTE and a couple of other goodies.

8. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

If you don't like to wait, buy a slightly used 4s outright now; and sell your 4 to help pay for it. Then, sell the 4s once you get the 5. Between the sale and the giftcards you'll probably come out ahead or close to it.

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Not much difference between iPhone 4 and 4S imo so definitely wait for the next gen. You can use swipe gestures from activator so there's no need to even use your sleep button

10. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Thanks for the insight guys. Definitely going to wait October isn't THAT far away, and still loving my iPhone 4. :D

11. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

If you can live without Siri wait until iPhone 5. I upgraded to 4S mainly for Siri and I am glad I upgraded

12. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

I have siri on my iphone4 and its 'meh' pretty much....not that great.

13. Jonny1989 macrumors member

Im in your boat, although i can upgrade around march/april time so its not as bad. Im 100% waiting though. People who have the iphone4 and 2 year plans are in the best cycle if its new redesign/new model every year like the 4/4s which isnt worth my upgrade.

Wait if you can i would say.

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

15. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

YES! DO IT!

I may have the unpopular opinion of the group here, but DO IT. Don't listen to those saying the 4S isn't "much" better or faster than the iPhone 4. It is, and quite a bit. It's noticeable from the first app you launch. I'm very glad that I did the upgrade - I rarely use Siri, more of a gimmick to me, but the overall performance boost over my old iPhone 4 is VERY noticeable.

You can also do AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV without jailbreaking and running some third-party crap to do it. Also something I wanted. YMMV.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I went ahead and upgraded in January. I upgraded for the camera and love Siri dictation. I was waiting for a new form factor but when that happens I can decide what to do then. And you're have a redesigned antenna if you like to go naked.

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

there's practically a 100% chance that the iPhone releasing this year WILL be redesigned. quote me on it.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am likely not going to remembe ryou said this, if it happens. There are a ton of people saying it. I am one of them. That said, it is nothing but a feeling literally. Your 100% chance is a feeling, not a fact.

19. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

I'd wait if I were in your shoes. The iPhone 4 is still a nice phone and does everything the 4S does. The only thing you're missing is Siri but right now it's pretty limited and will certainly work better by the time iPhone 5 rolls around.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Better camera both for stills and video too... if you care of course :)
    More storage... if you drop a couple extra Benjamins.

21. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

Just upgrade and sell the iPhone 4S when the 5 comes out, take care of it.

22. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

True, but unless you're blowing the pictures up, it doesn't really matter. If you just mostly look at them on facebook or flickr, nobody can really see the difference.

23. newagemac macrumors 68020

Prett much everything was improved in the 4S. The only thing that didn't change was the outer appearance. If performance is important to you then yes go with the 4S. The A5 chip is a whole lot faster, the antenae is better, cameras take significantly better pictures, it has bluetooth 4.0, Airplay mirroring, handles 1080p, Siri, etc.

However, if you are only interested in a different look, then you might want to wait for the iPhone 5.

24. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

Well chris, you never really said what you wanted in an upgrade or if the newer features in the 4s even mattered to you. Just that your sleep/wake button was acting wonky.

If the upgraded features matter to you, then it's important to think about. If you're on the fence and more or less "meh" about it and the only issue you have with your phone is the sleep wake button, then wait. I wouldn't buy an entirely new phone if i was still happy with my existing phone but it just had a faulty button. If you're happy with your 4, go to the apple store and have someone look at your button

25. jakebechtold macrumors member

jakebechtold

If you had a 3GS or a non-iPhone like I did I would say upgrade, but since you already have an iPhone 4 and if can live without Siri, I'm going to agree with everyone else and say wait.