Should I buy an iPhone? I need to be connected to AIM 24/7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reminisce32, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

As I have read, the AIM app will close when the phone goes to sleep so do you think Apple will ever make it so AIM can notify me 24/7? or should I just wait for a next generation of iPhones that probably addresses this issue. I'd hate to buy a phone now then all of a sudden later on this year they release a phone that addresses this, along with adding stereo Bluetooth, MMS, video recording, character counter in the SMS app, cut + paste, etc. Or do you think any of this stuff could be patchable on the iphone 3g when it comes out or would all the iphone 3g users be forced to buy a newer version of iphone?

Thanks

2. svndmvn Guest

I believe you can have notifications from an IM via sms, or you can just jailbreak and be always online with an IM.
    Copy/paste, character counter in SMS, MMS, Video is also available via jailbreak. The only thing missing would be stereo BT, since file transfer via BT has been available for a couple of days we'll see if stereo is a matter of hardware( which I suspect even though Android seems to be providing it on the G1) or if it's software we could be seeing it via Jailbreak as well.
    If Apple had in mind to give us most of these features with a new iPhone I'm almost sure most of them would also be available via firmware update on older phones.

3. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

Or just purchase Beejive.

Beejive will send a "push" email to your mobileme or exchange account when the app is off. Of course it will only be push if you have an exchange or mobileme account.

Beejive costs $15.99. MobileMe between $65 (buy at amazon) and $99 per year. Exchange will require a corporate email account that licenses Microsoft Exchange.

I love Beejive and think it's worth every penny. It will allow you to stay "online" for 24 hours and send you push emails when the app is off. It will also keep chat transcripts that you can email to yourself.

It supports AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo, Hotmail and other chat protocols. And you can have them all on at the same time.

IMHO one of the best iphone/ipod touch apps available in the app store.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

You can also have Beejive send an email to your NXXNXXXXXX@txt.att.net email address and you'll get an SMS notification of the waiting IM if Beejive isn't running. When you open Beejive, the message will be waiting to reply to, keeping the conversation all in one place. No need to pay for a push email account, just SMS.

5. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Or instead of spending all that money, you can just get the new aim update from the app store that keeps you singned in 24/7 and it will text you when you get a new im. I've been signed in for like 3 days straight now!

6. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Agree'd

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Agreed x2

wait till they announce 3.0, hopefully there will be True Push

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I agree, agree, agree.

Wait until Tuesday to see what Apple has to offer. If they STILL don't support push or background processes, then get a Blackberry Storm.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

This begs the question why? Pretty sad really.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Because that's what he wants. Why question someone's lifestyle? What if he needs aim for more than just casual chats with a friend or two? It's not fair for you to call that sad. Everyone uses their phones for different reasons.

11. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Yet another example that the iphone really needs multitasking...

12. neilp4453 macrumors regular

Not really. Unfortunately, not everyone likes to go home and lock themselves up in a closet.

It is extremely convenient for people to have constant access to you (as not everyone texts all the time).

13. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Hey - how about through AIM on your computer, you set up AIM Mobile for your phone. Just type in the 10 digit number, and you are constantly logged in to AIM via your cell's number.

14. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Is it true that if the phone is jailbroken AIM can give me push notifications while the phone is locked? If so would this kill the battery too much or no?

15. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

you can run backgrounder if you jailbreak. However, it will eat up your battery since it is constantly running.

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

You can actually sign up for text alerts on the aim website. When I log off on my computer, I'm still accessible via text. It forwards automatically.

17. Almy macrumors 6502

The backgrounder app isn't as good as it seems either. Really more of a hassle to keep up with than it's worth, especially if your phone locks a lot. Have to keep remembering to reopen your IM program and then re-enable the backgrounder then exit it. Pain in the but IMO.

But just buy Beejive, very worth it. Have ALL your IM program logged in 24/7 and get an email notification any time you get an IM. No need for subscribing to things like MobileMe.