Should I buy another 23" ACD to make it 2x23" or sell the 23" ACD and get 1x30"ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sorry if there was a similar thread/question but I'm desperately in need of advice... ok I bought the 20" ACD to go dual with my 23" ACD but the color hue was different no matter how I calibrated and just glaring to the 23"'s resolution then back to the 20" ACD was painful, the 23" ACD looks just that much better in quality/resolution/color everything..

So do you guys think its better to go 23"ACDx2 or 1x30" ACD...

Right now I'm leaning a bit closer to the 23" since its much cheaper. I've even thought about keeping the current 23" AND buying the 30".

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I use dual monitors with Windows, but I prefer one giant monitor with OS X.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Exactly the same here. I like having two monitors on Windows, but under OS X I adore just having the 30".

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I like being able to physically compartmentalise work I do regardless of the OS. On many of my for-work Windows machines it's quad-monitor. For the Pros, almost always dual-monitor.

For home working, it's usually 2 x 30" or 2 x 23"/24". For the home machines I use for more pointless things, I perfer to go for a single 23"/24" or 30" because the second monitor wouldn't be used, and I'd rather have the optimum single-display real estate.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I can't wait to see what OS X looks like on a 30" screen :cool:

Sell the lot, buy a 30".

6. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Do you use "spaces"?

If you do I bet you would love one 30" ACD. Spaces shares 2 monitors, so its not as effective as I think it could be. 8 spaces on 2 monitors would be sweet, but alas it doesn't do that yet.................

I think your other ACDs will do well on eBay, so the plunge won't be too awful.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Personally I only use Spaces on the smaller notebooks like the 15" MBP and the Air, where it is genuinely useful because there are no other viable options. With a system where you have the opportunity to add more monitors it decreases in usability for me.

8. fernmeister macrumors regular

Doesn't it? With a notebook + ACD, you get 8 spaces.

For me 2x23 is perfect.

9. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I have 2 x 20" Samsung and i love dual displays. Personally i would have 2 x 23" over the 30" any day. My dual display have spaces set up fine btw.

10. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Aren't you the one who can't make up your mind whether you should keep your Mac Pro or not and keep posting silly questions asking other people to make the decision for you? Then eventually you decided to keep your MP after all those posts and came here to tell the whole world that you decided once and for all you are going to keep it - and then the post got locked up.

It seems like you desperately need advice on everything - be it keep the MP or not, where to put it (on or under the table), wireless keyboard, how to use the MP, etc etc.... What's next?

If you do get the 30" I bet you'll come here and ask for advice on whether to keep it or not - well here's my advice in advance: keep it. Better yet, buy two!

11. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

jesus christ, are you like 12 or something? every post you make is along line lines of OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I SELL IT? SHOULD I KEEP IT? WHY?

make up your own damn mind. sorry, for the rant, but seriously c'mon

12. utekineir macrumors 6502

You may need your own decision making flip flopping section.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Well believe it or not tjose threads about keeping the mac pro on the bottom as to the top thread really helped me. Keeping it on the bottom is much better as someone adviced me and keeps the mac pro much cooler since
    Heat rises and I checked the istat temp and it was true.

As for me keeping the mac pro thread that has helped me as well and I decided to keep the mac pro and sell my mbp. Since everyone helped me realize that that the mac pro is that much faster and longevity of it as well. And I came to the conclusion that I dont need a laptop since 95% of the time Im glued to my mac pro and its positiond that I can comfortably sit on a nice comfy chair and watch tv as well.

So all the threads really did help me more than you think, so why dont u stop being childish and stop harrassing me on making threads thinking that its all for nothing.

Also since Im selling my mbp, I will have extra funds so Im heavily deciding on another 23" acd or sell my current 23" and opt for one nice 30". And dont think I just make the thread and not read them or not that the threads seriously. I really do appreiate everyones opinions and consider every little thing that everyone saids in making comparisons or giving me better options that I myself never realized since I havnt experienced or thought of.

14. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I would recommend a single 1993 13" 640x480 16-bit CRT display; it'll do wonders for your OS X experience :)

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Lol CRT's are awesome in color rendition but my only 2 gripes are that, 1) they are freaking huge and 2) they get freakin hot!!

16. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

You really don't get it do you? All those posts of yours asking for people to make up your mind for you and then coming back with silly conclusion yourself is what's making YOU look (sound) like a child. Nobody is harassing you, just pointing it out. Don't you remember that one of your stupid post got locked?

17. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

yea because I told the admin to lock it :rolleyes:

If you think my threads are stupid then just shut the hell up and just dont read it god damn~ I'm sure I can dig up some of your posts that I think is absolutely unnecessary/stupid and call you an idiot and to make up your own damn mind.

I'm sure people like me is ****ing annoying to U but to me people like who makes comments like this is ****ing annoying.

18. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

19. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks stagi, tomorrow I will swing by the local apple store to test out the 30" once more before probably taking the plunge.

My only worry is that I see a lot of people with the problems of the dancing pixels/vertical line/blackspots still today but then apple locked down that thread with the dancing pixels...maybe less people are getting the dancing pixels in the newer 30"?? But if you do consider the amount of people are complaining on that thread as to the the vast majority of the 30" that actually shipped out, I'm sure I'll get one without any problems with the 30".

20. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

We'll be here waiting for you to help you make up your mind whether you should keep it or not ;)

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

get a non-apple 30". Overpriced. You could prob afford a 30" and a 24" or something for the price of an apple 30" and have both.

apple 30" = 1799
    Dell 30" = 1199
    Dell 24" = 599

22. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Anyways, anyone here have trouble with playing COD4 on the 30"? Will it even do the full 2560x1600? Also if it does can the 8800gt handle it?

23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

You know I'm actually thinking about keeping my 23" as well to use on the side next to the 30".. I guess I wont know unless I try it but if its way too overkill then I'll sell my 23" but if its nice I'll keep them both. After selling my 17" hi res 2.5ghz mbp model I'll still have about $1k left to put in the bank so not bad at all. :p

24. Freyqq macrumors 68040

if you have two monitors, you should game on the smaller one. 1 8800GT can't handle COD4 at max settings at that resolution, maybe medium to medium-high will be ok. If you could SLI 2 8800GTs, then yeah probably that would work..but no SLI on macs lol.

25. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

2 x 23" will always be better than 1 x 30".

Although 2 x 30" will be the best.

Here is an advice given by Chris Pirillo.