Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have Apple Care protection for your iPhone 3GS or 4 (not 4S)?

• Yes, I do (or) Not yet, but will be getting one.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No, I don't and never plan to get one.

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
My iphone 4 is going to go out of warranty next month. Should I get Apple Care for it? Please tell me the pros and cons of not getting it. TIA!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I had (past tense) a general rule that I bought Apple Care for each of my New Macs, but not for my iPhones.

But now (currently) I feel differently. The quality and number of problems from iPhone 4 forward is so great, it's probably a good idea. Quality, reliability, and overall durability is in question as never before.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Well looks like that was mostly related to the MacBook which is a much more expensive purchase. I am looking for input pertaining to whether AppleCare is worth it for a $200 iPhone 4 that is under contract. Note that I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 definitely next year.

Well that is probably around a year and it will likely be fine. Worst that happens you get an older iPhone from CL then sell it again on CL when you get the 5.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
From my own experience, for an iPhone 4 I had for about 18 months, it ended up being a worthwhile purchase. When IOS 5 was released I set about updating my phone. After the software downloaded and the update began, suddenly I received a message that the update couldn't be completed at this time, and my phone was bricked. I took it into the Genius Bar, and they tried to do a restore, but it wouldn't even show up as a device. Long story short, the replaced the phone and sent me on my way. Apple Care definitely ended up being a worthwhile purchase. My wife also had her iPhone 3 replaced under Apple Care, good thing too as the replacement lasted her 3 years until the iPhone 4S came out. She wasn't going to go for the 4 <g>

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think if you are accident prone then it's a good idea... I've never broken a phone physically from drops or such... I've killed touch screens somehow but it was just normal wear on the Touch Pro2's crappy ass Resistive Touch that killed it.

My wife on the other hand can't seem to hold a phone without dropping it once a week. I'd get AppleCare + for her if we ever got her an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.