Should I buy iMac 20" 2.66GHZ or 24" 2.4GHZ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yamcha, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hey Guys,

I'm finally thinking about making the purchase, I was wondering what you guys would recommend?, im in a real pickle because I can't decide what I want..

Option 1
    Mid 2007 Model
    Aluminum
    Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    24-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight Came
    $1349
    Option 2
    2008 Model
    Aluminum
    Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    20-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    $1399
    Option 3
    Wait for the new iMacs to come out.

Im leaning a bit towards the 24" because of the screen size, and with the $50 I can upgrade memory to 3GHZ..

Appreciate your time :]

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

Search the forum and Google regarding the panel built into the 20" models. It is personal preference to some people, but I wouldn't spend my money on another display like it.

Full disclosure: I don't own an iMac for this reason. I've compared the 24" to the 20" and opted to wait for the 24".

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the screen size and quality is amazing in the 24" iMac. I would definitely give up some speed for a 20% larger display... actually I think 4 extra inches yields more than 20% larger.

Anyways, best wishes whichever route you go.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

For just 260mhz, you get a much better quality, bigger display. And like you said, with the $50 you save, you can get the RAM up to 3GB.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Wait until new models come out and buy the first gen 24" even cheaper.

6. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, after some thinking, i've decided its probably best to wait, especially because the new Macbook line has the LED displays, new graphics chip and DDR3 Memory, the main reason I decided to wait is because I hear the LED displays are perfect for Designers (Like my self).. Thanks for all responses :] But I guess the real question is how much waiting =/

7. markiv810 macrumors regular

I would second that, I have been waiting now for the 24 inch LED Screen Quad Core iMac, the release is imminent. So have some patience, chew a gum or play solitaire (smoke a cigarette if that relaxes you). Rushing into a decision like this often turns out to be a mistake, ""Haste make waste", imho.

8. RRW71 macrumors newbie

24" is VESA mountable, 20" is not. If u want to mount it on a wall or a stand, 24" is the way to go. I'm waiting 4 the new ones to be released and getting the "old" 24" and wall mounting it. If a refurb comes available, I would probably take advantage of that also.

9. windels macrumors regular

windels

just wanna let you know ...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76968

and unfortunately I have to say , for me, it is kind of true. I find when i keep on scroling into texts , that it is a strain on my eyes... don't know what other people think of this? I own a unibody mpb by the way

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

What to get depends on the software you intend to use. Things like Final Cut, Aperture and Logic really eat up screen space. Even on my 24" iMac the 24" screen is filled by just one one of those. I'd consider either the 24" or the 20" with a second screen

One the other hand if the iMac is to be be used as a video game console then FPS games need all the CPU speed they can get and don't need a large screen

For Internet surfing and e-mail buy what ever is the lowest cost, both machines are overkill for that usage.

11. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm the new LED worries me after seeing that thread.. I am a web/graphic designer, I've heard that LED is perfect for designers because the colors are closest to real as possible.. Id like mainly to be using the iMac for design, and perhaps minor gaming, rare though I'm not a huge gamer.. I prefer the 24" over 20", just because more space to work and also because it looks nicer, and good for movies :]