Should I buy macbook after xmas and/or macworld in Australia?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hzxu, Dec 20, 2008.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

Hello, I'll buy a macbook, I heard that it may be updated after macworld, and the price will drop after x-mas, is it true? What do you recommend?
    And another problem is, as a university student, I can by it at education price, however, my current student id will expire at the end of December, I cannot have an ID until February 2009, and I need to use the notebook, I wonder can I explain to them about the ID issue and still get education discount? I have the receipt of next semester's fees.
    Most likely I'll buy it after xmas but before Jan 2009, in case there is a price drop and my current ID will expire after December, so is nextbyte open after 25 Dec?
    Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular

And

And I am also worried that Snow Leopard will replace Leopard soon after I buy a macbook with Leopard

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It's not much of a big change they are going to do with the Snow Leopard coming out next year..

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not like you won't be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard, at the earliest i think it'd be ready is another six months. thats just my guess.

7. weekend warrior macrumors member

I'll just throw it out there that the question about macbooks was asked a year ago, and isn't relevant or true about this year.

If you want new, (and if you plan on getting a student discount, you should) buy now. No new laptops will be announced.

If you were to buy used then by all means wait intil after Christmas. There will probable by a influx of available machines after people get new ones as gifts.

8. ViM macrumors regular

mate aud ain't looking good, buy now. For example the price of general consumer products have been flagged to increase by at least 10% next year, read that somewhere in theage. Also any possible update will be minimal just a processor bump nothing that will make a noticeable difference. If you buy in Australia have a shot at jb cos they price match and ive heard stories of getting the 2.4ghz for $2100 (its in the forums at whirlpool.net.au).