Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Hey everyone. I've got a Dual G4 867 stock, except for no modem. *grin* That means 512 RAM. I also have an external 80GB Lacie D2 firewire HD.. and a Radio Shark USB 4-port hub, haha. Ohhh, and an HP Deskjet 960c! Er... a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Trackball.. some dust..

Anyway.

512 ram, right? Now I do a lot of audio work, and I mean a lot of audio work, and I also run a Carracho server full time. Two actually. Often when doing audio work, 100MB of RAM can be taken up just by audio files. I'm running Cubase SX, Max/MSP, Supercollider, Csound, etc... and usually not all at once.

So I am thinking, 512 - 250 for audio - 150 for the OS leaves me a spare 100, right? Or does X use more than I think?

512 DDR2100 is only 70 bucks.. should I go for it? Would it improve speed at all, or would it not be noticable? Sorry if this post is duh-tastic, but I've been up since, Sunday... and its Tuesday. Eep.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by springscansing
57578(0) pageins, 29992(0) pageouts

hm.. that's bad, right?
Depends on how long you system has been up and running for. More importantly how much time you been actively using it out of the uptime.

However, in general it does show you can use more ram. How much of a difference it will make will depend on the above factors (among other things).

Get yourself another 512MB stick since you seem to have the cash for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.