SHould I Buy My Clumsey Wife An iPhone? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrkactjob, Dec 13, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

My wife drops everything but wants a new iPhone for Xmas, I just know she's going to drop it and it will shatter, are there any good insurance policies out there that will cover accidental damage to an iPhone?

2. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

If only it could be covered under household insurance, or is someone out there made a protective shell type device for the phone..... if only :rolleyes:

3. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

o2 Germany does provide insurance for its phones. So I assume o2 UK will have a similar offer. You just have to go to a O2 store and buy it there - with insurance. I have to pay 10€ per month for its insurance but it will pay out one day. Theft, accidental damage and loss is covered.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Are you with Lloyds TSB? They offer Phone insurance as part of my Card.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

As much as I love my iPhone, it is NOT drop friendly out of the box. Get a good impact resistant case that has a raised rim around the front glass. Bumpers are better than nothing, but I'd go with something like an Incipio NGP or maybe even an OtterBox.

The NGP fits beautifully, is made from a hard rubber, (absorbs impact and provides grip) and gives about 1/8" lift around the edges of the front glass. (back is completely covered) Button presses are as easy and positive as I've ever seen in a one-piece case. Available in a variety of colors including transparent smoke and cost around $20-$30 in the States. My only gripe is that they tend to lift up the edges of screen protectors slightly.

OtterBox has even more protection but you tend to either love it or hate it, and it costs twice as much.

Sean

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

7. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Buy her the cheapest bar phone you can and tell her its a jPhone made my pear. Save yourself the trouble and the aggravation. If she's anything like my wife, she'd b!tch and moan about it anyway...

8. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

She likes Pears soap, if I convince her there is no reception because she's holding it the wrong way she might fall for it, she's not very clever.

I guess O2 insurance is the way to go, if your renting its very difficult to get household insurance. That and some kind of pink case should suffice.

Women eh?...wish I was a gay.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Seeing the unkind way you speak about your wife, I'm guessing "gay" will be real option for you in the not so distant future.

10. fivenotrump macrumors regular

but then again, perhaps she's a better speller than you :D

11. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I would get the phone with a otter box case it could take a nice drop but it makes the phone bulky.

12. Strawbis macrumors newbie

do what i did

buy an incase snap case, screen protectors for both front and back and insurance! fit them before you hand it over.

it still looks good, is well protected and more importantly - it docks without removing the case ...any case that needs to be removed before docking is a waste of time IMO.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I’ve been bugged by that, as well. OP, go to Edit>Go Advanced and edit your title to “clumsy."

14. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

If you or your wife has a bank account that you have to pay for then phone insurance would be included with it, all you have to do is register it with them. My bank account costs half the price as the carriers own phone insurance costs, and I get more then just phone insurance, plus I get better cover and the excess if I ever needed to claim is half the price.

Just get phone insurance, but not from a carrier.

15. aohus macrumors 68000

chances are you wife will want to carry around the iP4 without a huge case a la otterbox.

i would say, have her get the iPhone 3GS, as its a more durable build than the iP4.

whoever at Apple thought that a phone made of all glass should be fired immediately. im a bit dissapointed in this year's iPhone refresh.

Lets hope the next iPhone will NOT be made of all glass. and if it is, it will be much more durable, hopefully.

16. RenoG macrumors 65816

This thread is full of funny.
    Married man to not-so bright-clumsy-wife "I wish I was gay".

17. phaggard macrumors regular

Be careful because as soon as you get her the phone you will drop yours and feel like a fool.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

after she reads this ... you'll be shopping for Diamonds :cool:

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just get her one. A decent case will prevent from any damage.

20. SnowDX macrumors 6502

She can't be too clumsy, she hasn't dropped you yet... ;)

21. sdziwulski macrumors newbie

otterbox

I agree!!
    I have an Otterbox commuter case for my iPhone 4, and the protection is phenomenal.

The defender case provides even more protection, more than most people will ever need!

22. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

+10000000000

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I did. It's cracked.

You decide.

As for the insurance I couldn't say as I'm in the US.

24. majorbeats, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

majorbeats macrumors newbie

id be worried about it being lost...make sure to get a hard case so she can hear the thump when it drops ! good luck (im talking from experience ;)

25. himesh macrumors regular

Otterbox defender, or failing that, Barclays includes phone insurance, one years extended warranty on new devices bought and wallet insurance for £5 a month with the current account plus. I have a Barclays account just for this reason! Excess is £25 but whats £25 on a £500 phone?