Should I buy my iPhone 3G S now or wait for 3.1 to be released?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by giulianoaugusto, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. giulianoaugusto macrumors member

    Jun 18, 2009
    Hey guys,
    here's the deal...
    I've never had an iPhone and I'm finally going to buy one now to use it in my home country (Brazil).
    I'm gonna buy it at AT&T with the no-commitment price so I dont need a contract and all.
    I know the 3G S has been successfully JB and unlocked with 3.0 but we dont know nothing about 3.1 yet and if it's gonna be unlockable.
    My question is, should I buy one now so I have 3.0 and can JB or should I wait for 3.1? I don't care much for the improvements on 3.1 but I've heard some people saying it improves battery life, is it true? is the battery life bad for those with 3G S 3.0?
    And if I buy it now with 3.0 I'll still be able to get my IBEC IBSS and have it JB forever...
    anwyays...give me your opinion! Thanks guys
  2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

    Jun 24, 2009
    It's honestly up to you and depends on what you want.

    If you would like to guarantee that you can JB your iphone in the near future when 3.1 comes out, I would suggest getting the iPhone 3GS now. If you really need/want the iPhone, why bother waiting? If you have the funds to do so, go ahead with it.

    However, if you're willing to risk not being able to JB the 3.1 firmware when it comes out, you can wait for 3.1 to come out. The battery life on 3.0 life has been improved, but i think 3.1 takes it a step further.
  3. Corvillus macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2008
    When it comes to hacks, always buy as early as possible. You can always upgrade your firmware to the new version with a simple software update. You cannot typically downgrade however (at least not without losing phone service anyway, since baseband can't be downgraded). If 3.1 gets jailbroken, you can always update and jailbreak with 3.1. If it doesn't, you'll at least have the option to stay with 3.0 jailbroken if you buy now, while buying later will force you to wait for another jailbreak.
  4. Love Juice macrumors regular

    Jun 2, 2008
    get it now

    once the next update is out, more than likely all new phones will have it on it (especially from apple), and it could have a baseband update, which could possibly break the current jailbreak.

    the way things stand right now, even if you accidentally upgrade your baseband, the dev-team says as long as you back up two certain files, you can ALWAYS have a jailbreak :)
  5. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 18, 2008
    Puget Sound, U.S.A.
    Get it now!

    Why wait-the phone WILL run the new software when it is made available and in the mean time you can have one of the coolest phones on the planet :)

    And, if you get it now you can unloock it FOR SURE (if you need to). That may or may not be an option with the new software.

    Check this page:

    Seems Apple is getting serious about tightening up the baseband.
  6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604


    Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    I'd get it now, that way when 3.1 does come out you'll have enjoyed JB/Unlock on 3.0 for awhile. Some rumors are saying that no JB/unlock yet for 3.1....:eek::eek::eek:
  7. giulianoaugusto thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks so much you guys! Appreciate the input!
    I'll try to gather enough funds to buy it now..
    for all you that have JB and unlocked...are all features working normally?
    I heard there were some problems with wifi and skype after you JB.
    How's been the overall experience with the JB/unlocked with 3G S outthere? ;)
  8. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 18, 2008
    Puget Sound, U.S.A.
    Haven't tried skype-WIFI works fine for me.

    It is MUCH FASTER than my previous 3G-that much is certain.

    Unlock working fine-used my friends T-mo last night for a half hour or so.

Share This Page