Should I buy my MBP where I live or in America? + Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoking monkey, Jun 14, 2009.

1. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I am going to get a new MBP.
    I can get the Edu discount where I live and that will bring the cost of the MBP to around $2320 US. In the US the Edu Discount has it at 2100. Quite a big difference.

I will travel to the states this summer to visit a friend. He is a full time student.

MY QUESTIONS...

1. Can I use my status as a teacher in Japan to purchase Edu in the States? (I'm not sure how I could prove this)

2. Are there any foreseeable problems with my friend buying the computer for me or buying where I don't live?

APPLECARE
    When I checked the cost of apple care in Japan it comes to about 420 American dollars! (No edu discount!)
    Edu Discount in the US is 250 US. I also found it for 252 on Amazon.com.

QUESTION:

1. Can I buy it from Amazon or get my buddy in the States to buy it for me using Edu. Discount?

NOTE: IF I buy it from amazon I can use my friend's house as a shipping address but I have to use Japan as my billing address.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

If you purchased the computer in the states as a teacher in Japan I'm afraid that they might charge you the Japanese price. That being said, I think you should be able to have your friend buy it for you on his edu discount with applecare and everything. I don't forsee any problems with that situation.

3. veterator macrumors member

veterator

According to the Apple Store you must be a teacher in the USA to be eligible for the education discount. It seems your best option would be to use your friend's student discount. You could get around the billing issue by giving them the money and having them pay.

4. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Yeah,

A few years back I bought Motion 1 from an Apple Store in the States and they gave me the EDU price in an instant. I guess with a computer it's a bit different.

But as you said I think on the computer front I will be fine.

IF applecare is purchased when the computer is purchased and that is by my friend does that mean it's under his name? I really don't know.

5. cu2010 macrumors 6502

you can transfer the plan's coverage to the computer's owner- you.

6. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

What about warranty and the ability to get an American bought laptop serviced in Japan with US Applecare.

If there's no problems with the warranty, ie no global warranty, then get it in the US where it is cheaper.

7. cu2010 macrumors 6502

valid only in the fifty states of the U.S., DC and canada good point
    if you buy a computer in the u.s. can you change the language? and keyboard?

8. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

When you're buying it on the US site you get a choice as to what kind of keyboard you want on it.

9. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

There's a global warranty on all Apple computers, but some authorized services don't recognize AppleCare, so you're safer if there're Apple Stores in your country. I don't know how it is in Japan.

10. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I'm an Aussie living In Japan, so the I always get the English/US Keyboard option when I order in Japan. And there is an AppleStore (+ dedicated English Telephone Support) in my city.

I just read on a very old thread here and found this...

11. moderniste macrumors member

I don't think you can use your status as a teacher in Japan for the educational discount. However if you buy the computer at a store like Yodobashi Camera or Bic Camera you can get quite a lot of points on your points card, which could be enough to make it worthwhile.

You can definitely get your computer serviced in Japan if you need to, Applecare has English-speaking reps you can call and Apple stores have (more or less) English-speaking geniuses.

12. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

^^ I've read information about international warranty and AppleCare on Apple's site some months back and there's only a warning that what exactly is covered by extended warranty depends on a country of purchase, so Apple "strongly recommends" buying it in your country. I don't remember if there was anything about having to buy AppleCare in the same country as the computer, but it's possible.

13. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I don't think so either. But there is always a chance. It's one thing for 'em to give me a Edu discount on a piddly piece of software but on a computer... Actually I've just emailed my buddy and asked him to enquire at his Campus store. Once I get a definite answer I will post it back here.

I've got applecare for my Imac. I used it this year as well, but the comp and AC were purchased here in Japan. The Apple support service here is excellent. I got my computer back in less than 48hours! The English line is also great.

14. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Update!

I just called the apple store here in Japan as it's just turned 9am and they said that purchasing the applecare in America is absolutely not a problem. Even if I purchase the computer here in Japan there are no worries with purchasing the applecare in America.

I asked her to confirm this for me and she was quite adamant about it.

To be honest I would like a second opinion and may call back later and try to get a different operator or head into the store and talk to staff there.

Their calls aren't recorded so I have no way of backing up my claims of an apple stuff up if things go pear shaped.

15. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Well, my AppleCare Terms and Conditions states that "The Plan is offered and valid only in the fifty states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia and Canada." under General Terms section d.

But who knows?

16. wesrk macrumors 6502a

get your friend to buy it for you, just so that he can use his discount and in the rare case that apple calls him for proof, he can always show his school id or whatever and prove he is in fact a teacher.

buy apple care from ebay, you will save more than just having the education discount, just be careful and read other threads here about ebay and apple care to find members that are 100% legit.

enjoy your computer.

17. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Yeah, who knows... That unfortunately is the problem. I'm getting more suspect about the telephone support advice I was given this morning.

Cu2010: is your applecare for a laptop or desktop? I heard that laptop is international whereas desktop isn't. I could be wrong on this though.

Also it could be the reason why applecare in Japan is so expensive. Actually, with my Imac applecare I got Tech tools on a disc. Do you get that in America?

18. cu2010 macrumors 6502

this AppleCare is for my laptop, and both purchased in the U.S.

FYI: http://guides.macrumors.com/AppleCare says otherwise. Google results also tell you that it's international. So you're good to go.

19. YOKOJP macrumors member

Applecare works globally so, you should have no problems. Bought my Macbook Air and Applecare in the states and Applecare works fine in Japan. Absolutely no problem.

Hope this helps.

20. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

good news

YOKOJP,

Sounds encouraging. Have you actually needed to use the applecare here in Japan?

Thanks.

21. YOKOJP macrumors member

Not yet, but I've spoke to Apple staff (NYC) in the States and sales rep. in Japan and they both confirmed that it works in the States and Japan.

Edit: Bought my MBA in NYC late November 08 and got Apple tech service in Japan on March 09 for display problem. Got no problem with Apple service in Japan. Hope this helps.

22. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Applecare, regardless of where you buy, so long as it is from a direct Apple Channel(aka Apple Store, Online Applestore, or Certified Reseller) is valid worldwide, and provides you with Global Applecare coverage, I have had my macbook fixed in Thailand and China, bought the warranty in North Carolina almost three years back

23. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

thanks for the added info. I think I'm going to hold off and buy the applecare in America but the computer in Japan. I can get the 15in 2.8 standard config with apple worker discount for 2149bucks. but with Edu discount in Japan it's only another 150dollars. I didn't realise the apple store online doesn't show the full price in America. I'm pretty sure they do in Japan.

I wonder if amazon.com counts as a certified reseller? They have applecare MBP for 250bucks!